You are here

Superior Drummer 3 vs BFD 3

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Superior Drummer 3 vs BFD 3

Postby Glenn Bucci » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:39 am

I started with BFD drums, then BFD 2, and then BFD 3. Recently I purchased Superior Drummer 3. I am still learning the program, but I have to say, I don't believe you can get better sounding drums than Superior Drummer 3. Part of the reason is the studio room chosen for the project, and the other reason is George Massenburg in the drum room and behind the mixing console.

First observation: I love in SD3 than you just slide a grove to the bottom of the screen. Then you can copy or slide a verse 2 groove, pre chorus, multiple chorus, and ending grooves for the song. Soooo easy. You can adjust the length of the groove if you want to add a fill anyplace you want. BFD3 does not have this, its more like Ride beat 1, Ride beat 2, instead of Verse 1, Verse 2 option. I like the names better on SD3. It helps you find what your looking for faster and what will fit certain things on a song faster.

With BFD3 you have to have a midi controller, assign the hits to different keys, hold the key down with the loop feature on, and then switch to a different keyboard key during the song for different grooves and or fills. There were times I found it triggered too early or it won't trigger at times. The work flow of SD3 is much easer and faster.

The sound of both drum software are excellent. It seems SD3 has a more open sound. It sounds like the drum kits are on the other side of your monitor. Two minus issues; it seems you cant' dampen the drums with SD3 with a slider like you can with BFD 3. You also can't change the mic positions like you can with BFD3. However George did such a great job, not having the mic position control is not an issue.

So there are some pros and cons for both. Both have a internal mixer with effects you can add. I like on SD3 the bleed control is on the mixer on the top of each track. This makes the work flow faster than BFD3. Both have great grooves and fills. The search feature on the SD3 for a certain groove is also handy. There is also a sub kick drum fader as well as a kick in and kick out. that offers greater flexibility.

One big advantage I found with BFD 3 is the amount of grooves and fills they provide. They have a lot more than what Superior offers. On Superior Drummer 3, if you go to Jazz category, there are no groove options with a ride cymbal. If you choose Power hand Ride, Jazz and Latin grooves are grayed out. This is very disappointing.

On Superior if you choose rock, country and you choose ride, there are no verse options to choose from only Chorus, intro and fills. Granted you can use the Chorus groove for verse 1, but when the other types of styles have many verse 1, 2, etc. its disappointing again.

Now in BFD 3, there is a category; Jazz Brushes V1. In this folder there are 18 grooves and 8 fills. Next is Jazz Brushes V2, V3, Jazz Sticks V1, Jazz Sticks V2, Jazz V1, Jazz V2, Jazz Walk sticks and Smooth Jazz, and Swing Jazz. So all these category's have their own grooves and fills.

This is an example of the limited grooves in Superior vs BFD 3 and I found in each catagory of grooves, BFD 3 offered more grooves and fills. This is something to think about before making a purchase.

So for me, the work flow of Superior 3 is much better than BFD 3, and creating grooves is a lot easier. But with the limited amount of drum grooves in the different catagory's is a disapointment. Granted there are still some catagory's in Superior like Blues that have a pretty decent amount of grooves to choose from. But Funk, Jazz, and Latin are very small. Superior has no Reggae, or Samba grooves/fills at all. Hopefully Superior expands their groove/fill options in the future.
Glenn Bucci
Frequent Poster
revelationsoundstudio.com

Re: Superior Drummer 3 vs BFD 3

Postby thefruitfarmer » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Great post.

I am looking at getting Superior Drummer 3 for a reggae project, amongst other things, and I prefer the look and sound of SD3 to Addictive Drums.

Not looked at BFD3 yet...

Glenn Bucci wrote:
"It seems SD3 has a more open sound. It sounds like the drum kits are on the other side of your monitor. Two minus issues; it seems you cant' dampen the drums with SD3 with a slider like you can with BFD 3. You also can't change the mic positions like you can with BFD3. However George did such a great job, not having the mic position control is not an issue."

Would it be possible to use the gate in SD3 to take the ring out of the drums?

I think they have a Transient Designer plug in as well which would probably do the trick?

Glenn Bucci wrote:
"So for me, the work flow of Superior 3 is much better than BFD 3, and creating grooves is a lot easier. But with the limited amount of drum grooves in the different catagory's is a disapointment. Granted there are still some catagory's in Superior like Blues that have a pretty decent amount of grooves to choose from. But Funk, Jazz, and Latin are very small. Superior has no Reggae, or Samba grooves/fills at all. Hopefully Superior expands their groove/fill options in the future."

I did wonder why there were no vids on youtube of SD3 reggae ....

What I would probably have to do is get the EZ Drummer adds ons, the reggae MIDI grooves https://www.timespace.com/products/toontrack-reggae-beats-midi?utm_source=Click&utm_medium=Channel&utm_campaign=Google_GB&ref=SFDR_139113279&variant=37092133578&curr=GBP&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvqbaBRCOARIsAD9s1XBzI3QSiNgv1B7pC84aQO3YHdvFBHCx09cNhj-g02fhAsA2MP9HJ28aAt-MEALw_wcBand the reggae kit https://www.timespace.com/products/toontrack-ezx-reggae.

Will have to have a proper look at BFD3, although the SD3 interface is winning at the moment and it might be worth paying the extra for the add ons.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Re: Superior Drummer 3 vs BFD 3

Postby Glenn Bucci » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:36 am

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -xEALw_wcB

This makes sense. Just download the type of drum grooves you would want. Too bad SD3 did not include more grooves so you wouldn't have to buy them later on. I already added Jazz, Rock, and Fusion. Much happier now.
Glenn Bucci
Frequent Poster
revelationsoundstudio.com