You are here

Which DAW do you use?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Which DAW do you use?

Postby mixedbymatty » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:09 pm

I was a longtime Pro Tools User. Got my first job in studios cause I knew how to use it. About 2-3 years ago I switched to Studio One. (even wrote a blog about it.https://mixandmastermysong.com/switched-pro-tools-studio-one-3/) It has all the features that I wanted in Pro Tools. You can drag and drop full channel strips, search plugins, and to be able to double-click a vocal and have Melodyne pop up is a gift from the gods. lol.

However, I still use Pro Tools a lot because many of my clients send mixes that way. Also, I must say I've been pretty un-impressed with studio one 4. I've had a good amount of latency issues. The new Pro Tools finally has search abilities which is great, and it's been rock solid as of late.
I guess the long-winded answer is I use both, I usually prefer to use Studio One.
mixedbymatty
Poster
https://mixandmastermysong.com Producer | Mixing/Mastering Engineer

Postby mixedbymatty » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:45 pm

h
mixedbymatty
Poster
https://mixandmastermysong.com Producer | Mixing/Mastering Engineer

Postby Logarhythm » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:50 pm

This week I've gone back to Cubase, having been on Reaper for the last few years.
Reaper is certainly very powerful and phenomenal value, but like several of the other posters I think it's a case of being most comfortable with the one that I have the longest history with, and I just never got quite as at ease with the MIDI side of it (the bit I use most) as I was with Cubase. The first computer-based sequencer I used was Cubase on an Atari, and from there through various of the PC iterations. Just made the jump to Cubase 9.5 having last use 6, and whilst there are quite a lot of changes it also still instantly feels "right" somehow.
Still have an older PC with the original "Cubase VST" on it too, specifically as it's all linked up to one particular instrument that would be a PITA to transfer onto something more modern.
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Zukan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:14 am

Puh, you're all so 80s. I'm notating with an Atari 520, storing stems on floppies and mixing to wax cylinders for added warmth.

I'm still waiting to be signed of course.
Zukan

Postby Logarhythm » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:22 pm

Too mainstream Zuke - if you were authentic you'd make hip-hop using just manuscript paper and a quil ;)
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Postby Zukan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:01 pm

lol
Zukan

Postby baward » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:08 pm

(trying to learn) Studio One

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
baward
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Just a thought baward - it's safer to use the SOS Forum's own selection of smilies if you can :D

Like you, I used various special off-site emojis for quite a few months, and then the associated web site site went belly-up, leaving all my posts with 'image not found' error messages.

Took me a long time to replace them :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby fxsoundscapes » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:40 pm

Cubase Elements 9.5 :ugeek: Used to be Logic audio user long ago in the times before it went to Mac and was forced to change Daw. After that its always been Cubase. Tried few other but never really got used to the feel on them.
fxsoundscapes
New here

Postby Gone To Lunch » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:52 pm

Digital Performer 9.52 on a Mac
Gone To Lunch
Frequent Poster
http://www.gonetolunchmusic.com/

Previous