You are here

CCleaner- Virtually Unstoppable!!

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

CCleaner- Virtually Unstoppable!!

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:00 pm

I've been using CCleaner as long as I can remember. However since it was aquired by Avast it's gone steadily downhill & become increasingly invasive. The little pop-up didn't bother me unduly as it was mildly irritating but harmless adware. But the two latest releases have included 'active monitoring' which runs all the time & sends data back to Avast. So no big deal I thought, just untick 'active monitoring' in settings and it'll be business as usual. Except it isn't. Task Manager shows it's still running in the background, and Avast admit that stopping it in Task Manager is the only way to stop it running & that you'll need to do this everytime you run it! Not only that but it re-installs itself in the start-up list each time you reboot.

Avast's 'justification' for adding active monitoring is that users pleaded with them to incude it as apparently giving them all your data & the condition of your PC allows them to improve the next release. Just something you might want to be aware of next time you share your browsing data with Avast.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Non-partisan suggestion for Stroke City: Donderry 

Re: CCleaner- Virtually Unstoppable!!

Postby The Elf » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:26 pm

I use CCleaner and have switched off its active monitoring. I don't see anything running in background?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:02 am

Avast's response is here https://tinyurl.com/yaktlazv if you're not affected I'd suggest not upgrading for a while. I get a little CC icon above the ^ icon on the taskbar & it says 'active monitoring' if you hover over it . The only way to clear it is in task manager. Until the next time.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/ne ... n-ccleaner

Edit: I've just clicked on 'check for upgrades' & it seems to take me back a few versions??? I'll try it out tomorrow.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ef37a » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:40 am

I have version 5.41.6446 and get the reminder every time I use it. I use I rarely these days however, the occasional Registry sweep if I feel there is a problem, been handy to uninstall things that don't show in Revo (why BTW?)

I have read that Registry cleaners do no good and can do harm? All I can say is that Cc has fixed things once in a bluey and never seems to do any harm. I always make a backup of the Registry data.

It is, IMHO a shame now that we only learn of these problems as they pop up on forums and if it is NOT SoS forum I take no action from anyone else!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:41 pm

During my (brief) use of Widows95 I discovered there was a command line program for fixing Windows registry issues. It came on a floppy, which auto-booted at power on. It not only did a very thorough scan of the registry and filebase, but also finished up with a defrag. Sorry, I can't remember what it was called, and don't know if anything like that still exists.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Postby mick.n » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:20 pm

Same thing happening here . Another problem that has just appeared a few days ago is a conflict with Kaspersky. Ccleaner crashes when loading unless I disable Kaspersky.

Looking for a replacement for Ccleaner. :headbang:
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:10 am

Brief update. I've updated v5.45.6611 using 'check for updates' & now have v5.44.6575 which suggests it's more of a downdate than an update!

As suggested on another forum I unticked 'automatically check for updates' when installing and hey presto, unticking 'active monitoring' seems to actually turn it off, and it appears to stay turned off when you re-open it. It's also removed itself from the start-up menu, although I haven't rebooted yet.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I trust it yet, but it's promising.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:37 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:Brief update. I've updated v5.45.6611 using 'check for updates' & now have v5.44.6575 which suggests it's more of a downdate than an update!

As suggested on another forum I unticked 'automatically check for updates' when installing and hey presto, unticking 'active monitoring' seems to actually turn it off, and it appears to stay turned off when you re-open it. It's also removed itself from the start-up menu, although I haven't rebooted yet.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I trust it yet, but it's promising.

I found exactly the same thing - I was on 5.45.6611 until this morning, and having to remove it via Task Manager after each use, but as you say, the web site now suggests an upgrade to an earlier 5.44.6575 version, which arrives with monitoring inactive, and politely removes itself properly when you exit the utility.

Sometimes software companies DO bow to public pressure! :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby OneWorld » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:31 pm

Seems like it needs monitoring itself for any nosey parkering it does.

When I did the update and found it had changed somewhat, I rolled back an image and that image has the older version on

One thing that puzzles me is that I use 2 cleaners - cCleaner and System Ninja, and both seem to find different results. I don't think there's any cleaner that purges the PC of junk and bungs it in a black hole never to be seen again
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Dynamic Mike » Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:36 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Sometimes software companies DO bow to public pressure! :beamup:

Martin

So it seems! And all credit to them for listening & doing the decent thing. There are probably people who think active monitoring is a good idea & will leave it switched on.

I currently have 32 background processes running & 74 windows processes. Some of these I know I don't need running (eg Xperia companion service) but most of them I have no idea how they got there or what they do. They use about 13% of memory but the CPU is flat-lining at 0% so I'm guessing I should leave well alone?
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:37 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:I currently have 32 background processes running & 74 windows processes. Some of these I know I don't need running (eg Xperia companion service) but most of them I have no idea how they got there or what they do. They use about 13% of memory but the CPU is flat-lining at 0% so I'm guessing I should leave well alone?

I suspect it's safer to leave them active unless you know exactly what they are doing, in which case it's probably safe to remove them if you don't need the function they were performing.

I started doing this many years ago when I discovered that the printer I was using at the time ran a service simply to check printer ink levels. Given that I only plugged in and switched on the printer once every few weeks this seemed a totally unneccesary routine! :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:09 pm

The trouble with unknown background processes is that they might simply decide to do something just as your CPU uses is peaking.

That applies on any OS of course.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:12 pm

Martin Walker wrote:I was on 5.45.6611 until this morning, and having to remove it via Task Manager after each use, but as you say, the web site now suggests an upgrade to an earlier 5.44.6575 version, which arrives with monitoring inactive, and politely removes itself properly when you exit the utility.

Sometimes software companies DO bow to public pressure! :beamup:

So it's sad to report that CCleaner 5.44.6575 now seems to have a 50/50 chance of crashing on my PC when you click on its Run Cleaner button, hanging with 'Internet Explorer History' displayed in its main area (even though I never use Internet Explorer) :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dynamic Mike » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:08 am

Have you tried unticking Internet Explorer in the CCleaner options?
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:56 pm

Dynamic Mike wrote:Have you tried unticking Internet Explorer in the CCleaner options?

Yep - then it tends to lock up on the next named browser :headbang:

Correction: it does eventually continue on its merry way after four or five seconds, but the more recent versions simply do the job properly without any waits (but we abandoned that one because of its behind-the-scenes activity ;) )

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby IvanSC » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:37 am

Alternative solution to this is to dump Avast entirely. I briefly moved to it when AVG started getting a little too interruption-prone, only to find that Avast slowly but surely got worse.
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Let me share my recipe for Wabbit stew with you!

Postby feline1 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:27 pm

Windows 10 auto-uninstalls CCleaner as crap ware,
and these days, Windows' own 'Drive Cleaner' has improved so much that I don't think CCleaner is necessary any more.
feline1
Frequent Poster (Level2)
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! http://www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:17 pm

Odd, it doesn't on either of my machines.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dynamic Mike » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:50 pm

feline1 wrote:Windows 10 auto-uninstalls CCleaner as crap ware
It doesn't for me. But I'm suprised it doesn't because CCleaner lets you uninstall Windows own crapware that Windows only lets you 'suspend' or hide & then often temporarily.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:31 pm

feline1 wrote:Windows 10 auto-uninstalls CCleaner as crap ware,
and these days, Windows' own 'Drive Cleaner' has improved so much that I don't think CCleaner is necessary any more.

I'm tending to find the same, I hardly use CC now, it was good while it lasted but like so many wheel makers, once you've had the concept, realised it designed and built it, what else do you do with it, put pink furry hubcaps on it and have the user report back every time it does a revolution?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next