You are here

Roland JD-Xi as a controller and Synth?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Roland JD-Xi as a controller and Synth?

Postby james090 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:34 pm

I am looking at a small synth, and been offered a Roland JD-Xi.

Do you know if you can use this as a multi-timbral synth/drum machine AND use the knobs and sliders as a controller for VST's etc?

I'm not too sure on the Midi implementation, but would love to use it as a controller for synths and Mac/PC VST's as well as a synth engine in its own right?

Thank you!
james090
Regular

Re: Roland JD-Xi as a controller and Synth?

Postby Pauncy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:31 pm

It's possible in theory, as most of the jd-xi knobs do send midi CC messages, but I'd strongly advise against it, because you will be inadvertantly changing settings on whichever jd-xi track happens to be selected (and one always is) as you make changes to whichever virtual synth is selected. I'd say you'd be better off using the jd-xi for sounds and as a midi keyboard and using say a cheap Korg Microkontrol or Novation Nocturn similar as your midi knobs. One other thing to mention, the usb connection on the jd-xi makes it very usable with a DAW once you've set it up.

I know you didn't ask, but it may be relevant: in my opinion the jd-xi is a great little keyboard/groove box in so many ways but it is not a great hands-on analog monosynth - despite the knobs you have no access to the filter envelope control, nor the adsr without deep menu diving, so you can't really shape a sound on the fly with the control you might expect. Nonetheless a great synth for the money, so I say get it anyway!
Pauncy

Re: Roland JD-Xi as a controller and Synth?

Postby james090 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:09 pm

thank you!

I've been offered one cheap, and the sound module/engine alone sounds like its worth it.. as well as the drum machine samples and programming etc

I suppose I could use it as a synth, and then record the audio to my DAW (maybe via USB if that works?) so all the parts are recorded, then use it as a controller to control VST's?

Also is it true that the JD_Xi is also a standalone audio interface/soundcard for other purposes ie: 2 in 2 out?
james090
Regular