You are here

i5 in laotops confusion

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

i5 in laotops confusion

Postby ef37a » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:23 pm

I am looking to get my son a refurbished laptop for Christmas.
I am looking at i5 machines, cannot run to i7 and in any case I don't think his usage warrants it.

My problem is the specifications of the various i5 processors mentioned and when I Googled "i5 CPU specs" I nearly fell off my chair! SO many variants. I was also surprised to see that the vast majority were 2 core processors?

I am typing on a 6ish year old HP G6 I3 370M 2.4G and even though it is full of junk it runs the demo of Samplitude Pro X 3 perfectly well and in fact has never been a problem. I upped the ram to 8G some time ago but only because "I could" does not seem to have made a stack of difference.

I have more or less fixed on a Lenovo, 14" minimum and an SSD* but will consider other brands. Son will not be pushing the machine very hard but I would like a processor faster than this HP for him. He presently has a very old and clunky Dell with W7 but I think W10 has to be the way to go now.

*250G would be nice but he can live with less, cost is a factor.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: i5 in laotops confusion

Postby James Perrett » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:33 pm

I'm sure others will have more suggestions but one thing to look at is the processor generation as each generation is effectively a newer processor with a different design. The laptop chips are also less powerful than the equivalent desktop chips. The first number of the processor model number is the generation. I'm typing this on an i7-2720QM which is a second generation (the first 2) mobile processor (the M) quad core (I presume that's what the Q means) running at 2.2GHz.

When looking at laptops recently my biggest issue was that most of them don't have brilliant screen resolution. There are quite a few Lenovo 420's and 520's around which have often been recommended in the past but in the end I went for a Dell Precision because I used them in my last job and knew they had a decent screen with decent performance (but they're not light).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: i5 in laotops confusion

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:16 pm

ef37a wrote:My problem is the specifications of the various i5 processors mentioned and when I Googled "i5 CPU specs" I nearly fell off my chair! SO many variants. I was also surprised to see that the vast majority were 2 core processors?

James pretty much nailed it already, but I'll add that i5 like the rest of the "i" series naming scheme covers 8 generations now and the first few gens were mostly 2 cores, and only in later years did it start to rise to what we have now. Largely though, it's going to vary from year to year and you're going to have to check them carefully if your buying refurbished.

Also, keep in mind the suffixes as well. World of difference between a "U" and a "QM" solution.

CPU benchmark or Geekbench more than ever will probably help provide some clarity here.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio