You are here

Has MLAN done a lazarus?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Has MLAN done a lazarus?

Postby OneWorld » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:12 pm

I thought MLAN was dead and gone and yet I saw an advert for an MLAN card that attaches to the Yamaha Motif which allows the Motif to act as a 16 channel audio interface to a DAW?

Has MLAN been resurrected?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Re: Has MLAN done a lazarus?

Postby Johnsy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:21 pm

The MLAN transport protocol (standardised as IEC 61883-6) is re-purposed for Ethernet AVB -

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/ethernet-audio

But in its original FW form, AFAIK it's long dead.

Where was the ad?
Johnsy
Regular

Postby ef37a » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:24 pm

OneWorld wrote:I thought MLAN was dead and gone and yet I saw an advert for an MLAN card that attaches to the Yamaha Motif which allows the Motif to act as a 16 channel audio interface to a DAW?

%$$"!! Hope not! JUST what the audio fraternity needs, another piggin' protocol!

I always thought Yamaha's mLan was an attempt at electronic "empire building"? Get a system out there for people to buy into and next year we'll all be......! They learn nothing from history. Beta v VHS. The time money and effort wasted on quadraphonics!

We already have 3 (?) Ethernet systems vying for space, let us hope mLan stays forgotten?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:27 pm

So, Johnsy, can AVB carry MIDI?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Johnsy » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:38 pm

ef37a wrote:So, Johnsy, can AVB carry MIDI?

Dave.

It can - again as part of the snappily-named IEC 61883-6 (AKA AM824) transport protocol derived from MLAN.
Johnsy
Regular

Postby ef37a » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:52 pm

Johnsy wrote:
ef37a wrote:So, Johnsy, can AVB carry MIDI?

Dave.

It can - again as part of the snappily-named IEC 61883-6 (AKA AM824) transport protocol derived from MLAN.

Good-Oh! I LIKE MIDI. One of the very few world standards in the music field, even if it does get a bit f'ed about with!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:38 pm

ef37a wrote:
OneWorld wrote:I thought MLAN was dead and gone and yet I saw an advert for an MLAN card that attaches to the Yamaha Motif which allows the Motif to act as a 16 channel audio interface to a DAW?

%$$"!! Hope not! JUST what the audio fraternity needs, another piggin' protocol!

I always thought Yamaha's mLan was an attempt at electronic "empire building"? Get a system out there for people to buy into and next year we'll all be......! They learn nothing from history. Beta v VHS. The time money and effort wasted on quadraphonics!

We already have 3 (?) Ethernet systems vying for space, let us hope mLan stays forgotten?

Dave.

Whilst I agree, another day another protocol, MLAN did seem as if it would do for Audio what MIDI did for synths. And over the years, having, and having had the i88x, 01x, 01v96, 02r96 (especially useful for the transport control and the way it knits in with Cubase) it seems so obvious to add an audio interface to a mixer, ok, we have that now with QU-series and x32 etc but all we need from Yamaha is a Win10/64 driver and those older but very good mixers(01v96/02r96) have a new lease of life, but no, Yamaha in their wisdom just ditch us
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)