You are here

Dream Synths - Share and advice !

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Dream Synths - Share and advice !

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:38 am

desmond wrote:And... the ebay auction was removed. :headbang:

Not a problem I got the handbag ;)
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby baward » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:35 pm

It's (or will be) your money, but personally, I'd run screaming from an eBay auction page. If you're going to offload lots of money on a 'vintage' synth, get one from a dealer as a) you'll be guaranteed that it works at point of sale and b) presumably there'd be follow-up support. No guarantees of either with someone on eBay.

Dealers are generally more expensive, but you get what you pay for, as the cliche goes.

Or buy a Behringer DeepMind/Roland Juno 60 + some new studio gear and take yourself and a.n.other on a lovely holiday :bouncy:
baward
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:13 pm

desmond wrote:And...the ebay auction was removed.

I'm an idiot. I'm disgusted with myself.

(Really hoping that Synthi in the Gardening section doesn't go the same way.)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Richie Royale » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:17 pm

Not seen one in the flesh or heard one beyond a YT vid, but these make me want to spend money (any of them, but 002 or 008 are in your ballpark):

http://www.modalelectronics.com/
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale http://www.mixcrate.com/richieroyale

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:18 pm

Richie Royale wrote:Not seen one in the flesh or heard one beyond a YT vid, but these make me want to spend money (any of them, but 002 or 008 are in your ballpark):

http://www.modalelectronics.com/

The Modals are really lovely (I had a quick play on them at Synthfest) controls feel luxurious and they sound amazing.
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:48 am

Very close to making a decision now!

A battle of the Brain vs Heart

It now seems obvious - I should get a DSI Rev 2 :- is is more powerful (3 EGs 4 LFOs), quality 5 octave keybed with aftertouch, no stupid alien inspired LEDs and doesn't try to rip me off with extra cash for end cheeks. (and will likely hold its value in the future)

However, I had a play on the System 8 and I gelled with the interface immeadiatly.
It does the vintage poly thing pefectly and the lack of LFOs can be mitigated to some extent by sequencing control signals.

I do have a nasty feeling that if I buy the S8, Roland will release a proper update with a better case and keyboard. If Roland had done a decent job in the first place the S8 would be a no-brainer - someone at Roland need a 'punch up the bracket' for not designing this thing right in the first place!

Will continue to mull this over for a short while - but heart is likely to win
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:59 am

One of the things I'll kick myself for until the day I shuffle off this mortal coil was that a friend of mine in school in the mid-80s was a synth nut and owned (amongst other things) a Jupiter-8.

At the time I was a spotty, nerdy classical pianist.

I laid hands on said device and immediately discounted it based on its 'hideously limited' polyphony, lack of an 8-octave weighted keyboard and a superficial judgmental viewpoint of the patches as seen by a talented but idiotic 15-year-old pianist.

I know better now. I've always regretted my youthful stupidity on that front.

What a thing!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
The  man cave (currently unavailable while moving hosting providers) and some resulting works.

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:17 am

To be fair - at least in my case (3 chords isn't really enough :blush: )
My best upgrade would be to stick with my existing gear and get some piano / keyboard lessons!

But GAS is too strong - accidently temporarily scuppered my plan - saw a Deepmind 12 at a ridiculous price (pretending to myself that it will cover my Juno60 /106 lust) :headbang:
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:39 am

The JP8 is still the most beautiful synth ever made IMO, but I wouldn't have another. I got heartily sick of trying to keep it in tune (I never had the panel screws in, because it needed tuning every time I switched it on), and if anything *did* go wrong, then good luck finding someone able to repair it.

I went for the System-8 as a replacement and never looked back. It has its faults, but it's close enough for rock 'n' roll.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Previous