You are here

Delay problem with MIDI keyboard and Cakewalk

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Delay problem with MIDI keyboard and Cakewalk

Postby ef37a » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:09 pm

CS70 wrote:
taran2ula wrote:I am using the ASIO4ALL drivers in the DAW

Don't. That's your problem. Asio4All is not made for real time playing/recording.

Agreed but that might be the best OP can use with his interface?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:21 pm

ef37a wrote:
CS70 wrote:
taran2ula wrote:I am using the ASIO4ALL drivers in the DAW

Don't. That's your problem. Asio4All is not made for real time playing/recording.

Agreed but that might be the best OP can use with his interface?

Dave.

As I understand, he doesn't have one - he needs an audio interface :-)

ASIO4All is brilliant for playing back audio when you don't have an interface handy, but it very seldom can be used for recording and live playing; the fact that the OP goes thru HDMI in and out slows things down even more - it's like go buy cigarettes at the store on the corner by taking first a bus to the city and back. There's no way to make it work.

What he needs is an interface with an ASIO driver.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby thaley » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:06 pm

Cakewalk Midi Keyboard Latency Drift

I've finally solved my problem involving severe Cakewalk midi latency drift after much time, effort and frustration. The problem and solution would seem generally applicable enough to provided help to many others whom I think must be experiencing this.

This is an older thread, but something that keeps coming up in my web searches while desperately trying to solve my Cakewalk midi latency problems. Many of my searches also involve the TASCAM ASIO driver. Thanks to stumbling on the following, my problem has been solved. Note: even trying to find this again for this post via web search was difficult, so I am repeating it here!:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... ng-longer/

This problem seems to have existed back in time for several years with no clear solution. Many folks abandoning it, being satisfied to turn their ASIO device on and off to reset the drift, resetting the sample rate to reset the drift, returning/selling their I/O equipment, switching DAWs, bailing on the manufacturer's ASIO driver in favor of ASIO4ALL, etc. Many a blog just simply ends with an old date being the last entry. Since my solution was simple, I wish to elaborate here in order to help others through this, with the hope of finding one or two other key blogs to help spread the word.

Back in the days when I could actually troubleshoot something with full knowledge or have access to detailed information on how all the components worked, I adopted a philosophy of "divide and conquer"--if you could find some major midway point or some test that could eliminate a lot of ferreting around in vast areas that you could quickly eliminate, then that would be very attractive first step. So here is my suggested first step for Cakewalk midi latency problems:
1) Press P and go to the following window--Audio>Playback and Recording.
2) Un-select--"Use Multiprocessing Engine"
3) Check to see if your latency problem has gone away. If so, congratulations, you have eliminated a lot of guesswork and focused your path on addressing the likely problem area.
4) Now re-select "Use Multiprocessing Engine"
5) Go to the following window and scroll down to third-from-the-bottom--Audio>Configuration file>ThreadSchedulingModel
6) If your value is set to 3, you have the same setting that gave me problems. The link above explains this to some degree. Change the value to 2. If your default was 2, then change the value to 1.
If you are as lucky as I am, your latency problem should go away. If not quite, perhaps you have a compound problem, like too small a buffer size setting, etc.--the types of things that many of the blogs on this issue seem to try to address first.

I hope that you are as lucky as I am to have stumbled upon this solution.

Best of luck to all!

thaley
thaley

Postby zenguitar » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:01 pm

Welcome to the SOS forums, and thank you for such a helpful first post.

:clap:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:37 pm

Hi thaley, and welcome to the SOS Forums form me as well! 8-)

You'll very quickly make lots of new friends here with helpful posts like that ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Previous