You are here

Why does this sound SOOOoooo good? Stayin Alive

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Why does this sound SOOOoooo good? Stayin Alive

Postby OneWorld » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:04 pm

desmond wrote:No sequencers, no programming, just good musicians, playing well together, with loads of analog gear and tape warmth, with skilled people in control of it all..

But it's the musicians (and the arrangement) that make the groove happen...

Spot on, back of the net. I am an evangelist for music done on computers, but even so, if I make the analogy with buildings - music done on a computer is akin to 60's concrete breeze block music and music played by artisans/craftsmen is akin to a building built by stone masons, it is simply more elegant and creative. I feel that many of us sit at a computer and knock out a 2/4/8 bar phrase/groove. and that's as far as we get. Pick up a guitar, sit at the piano and the whole thing is more organic as you can instantly re-arrange the chords, sock in a minor7th or a sus9th, whatever, yes I know you can do that on a computer too, but the whole process is more clunky and not as immediate.

But whatever the tools, one needs a globally recognised classic piece of pop, now there's the rub! There's always a catch.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:08 pm

Jumpeyspyder wrote:I suspect there is also a shared 'nostalgic warmth' towards songs like this.

This song has probably been played at 75% (or more!) of family engagement / wedding parties over the last 40+ years etc - it's part of our culture and history.
Still a cracker!

Yep and I wonder how many of DizzyWhizzeeRapScallion and his GrimeyDrillBits or whomsoever's tunes will still be cutting it in 40 years time? Some of the tunes I can't remember after 10 minutes let alone 40 years!

Come to think of it, if you do DrillBit music, do you play countersink style instead of counterpoint?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Zukan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:28 am

Actually, it's a great mix. That's all you need to know about a track that stands the test of time and sounds fresh every time you play it.

This is what 'good production' is all about.
Zukan

Postby Wonks » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:17 am

It just makes me think of the dance floor scene from Airplane.

https://youtu.be/5WXVaChA3Q0
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby DC-Choppah » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:43 am

"We may try to understand the New York times effect on man" - Bee Gees, Stayin Alive
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Previous