You are here

Abandonware. Is that a thing?.

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Abandonware. Is that a thing?.

Postby Phunky » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:44 pm

I'm thinking about buying the Izotope Iris2+Trash bundle currently on sale from different outlets for 50 euros, which seems like a steel, but I've seen it described as abandonware in several forums.

It makes sense to me that a software can reach a expiring date, but in this case(Iris2) we're talking about a relatively(2015) new plug-in from one of the better known brands.

Does music software really age so fast?. Some wares, like the ones from Spectrasonics(Omnisphere, Trillian, StylusRMX), seems to hold the original retail price for years, yet VSTs made by for instance Waves often seems to be discounted from the get go.

What's the story here?. Is it because pricing software is more difficult than pricing hardware,
bad luck(iris 2 is mostly reviewed favorable), a lack of quality, fashion, or something entirely different?.
Phunky
Regular
http://www.jesperbuhl.com

Re: Abandonware. Is that a thing?.

Postby BJG145 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:58 pm

Phunky wrote:I've seen it described as abandonware in several forums.

I don't really get that either. It's still on sale from their website, with compatibility for Windows 10 / High Sierra.

The latest update was November 2015. Seems people find it buggy and expect more frequent releases. Bit harsh calling it "abandonware" though.

Just listening to a patch posted Aug 2018, and it's evidently still an interesting and useful piece of software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSccdGXGe1Y
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:20 pm

It just means it's no longer being actively developed.

Many people like their software to be actively developed, as it means bugs will be fixed, new stuff will be added (hopefully for free) and some people like their software to feel "alive". Plus there is a feeling that should things change in the future, the software can be expected to continue to work on a changing platform.

However, if it's a useful tool and you can be creative with it, this isn't a reason imo not to buy and use it...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:20 pm

desmond wrote:It just means it's no longer being actively developed.

Yes...although, that's a bit of an assumption. It might be, just not very actively.

Some software can lie dormant for ages, like that Dalek in the New Year's special. Maybe the devs at Izotope need a bit of UV.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby desmond » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:54 pm

BJG145 wrote:
desmond wrote:It just means it's no longer being actively developed.

Yes...although, that's a bit of an assumption. It might be, just not very actively.

Not so much an assumption, more based on users seeing no new updates for years...

No one knows what's going on behind the scenes of course, but where there has been no new updates for years, you can probably assume there won't be any more, unless proved otherwise...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Phunky » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:08 pm

Trilian(Spectrasonics) was released in 2009 and is still not being discounted, while Iris2(major update) was 6 years later. It's almost an entirely new plug-in and Izotope has nothing else to offer in the synth department, so why give up on it so soon?.

I bought the entire Air Music collection "https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/58-Inst-Bundle/2294-AIR-Instrument-Expansion-Pack-3-COMPLETE-UPGRADE-" a short while ago for 70 euros(Velvet(Rhodes emulation)alone is the price worth). For years a major part of the collection was part of the Pro Tools toolbox, and when their deal with PT expired nobody outside that world knew about them. A major discount kind of makes sense if you want to gain some traction, but that's not the case with Izotope.

Another couple of VSTs that I bought on the cheap recently was the Synthmaster 2.9+One bundle. 50 euros for both of them and they still being actively developed. And they are getting high praise everywhere also here at SOS: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/kv ... ynthmaster
Phunky
Regular

Postby BJG145 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:28 pm

Phunky wrote:Trilian (Spectrasonics) was released in 2009 and is still not being discounted

Look at the version history though; it's had loads of updates, including several last year. There will be more.

It can't be denied that Iris appears to have stagnated. Why that is, who knows. Maybe they just didn't sell enough to make it worth the trouble.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Phunky » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:33 am

BJG145 wrote:It can't be denied that Iris appears to have stagnated. Why that is, who knows. Maybe they just didn't sell enough to make it worth the trouble.

Makes sense. It must be quite a task making your wares stand out these days considering the massive amount of competition.
Phunky
Regular

Postby Pest » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:25 pm

IMHO no one seems to have considered other possibilities why iZotope Iris 2 isn't being 'constantly' updated:

It works very well. It does what it is designed to. Maybe it doesn't need regular 'updates'?
It has an excellent Library, and also fully supports users own Samples/Recordings as source files, should you wish to be more creative/experimental.
It works in a very different way to say; Kontakt, Omnisphere or Halion, or any other VST sample based instruments. I'd say it certainly complements them, not competes with them.
Isn't it worth considering that if something works, and works in a way nothing else does, that it doesn't need 'fixing'?
Also, the way Iris 2 works with Samples and Frequency/Time selections is what sets it apart from regular Samplers, but is the same as iZotope RX, which is updated as often as needed.

Pest
Pest
Poster
Imagine what you will know tomorrow...

Postby desmond » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:07 pm

Indeed, but software tends to need to be maintained, otherwise it eventually stops working on current OS versions, sooner or later (depending on a number of factors).

So abandonware in terms of no new feature updates is different to no updates at all (truly abandonware...)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Phunky » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:15 pm

I took the plunge and purchased the bundle. And I agree with Pest, Iris2 sounds and works great(as do Trash2).
These days I'm first and foremost a preset tweaker(or maybe not, according to Urban dictionary "A tweaker is someone high as f&#¤ on crystal meth" ;-), and Iris2 really delivers.
And I guess Trash2 could come in handy if I want to break bad :headbang:
Pricing is still a mystery to me, though. The price for Iris2 is back to 149$(Trash2=99$) at Izotope, but the bundle is still selling for 59 euro at Plugin Boutique.
Phunky
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:21 pm

Both have been on constant discount for over a year now, I think paid £29 a piece for them both at the tail end of 2017, just at different times as they were alternating the offers.

Once the software is a few years old, then they can be fairly sure that they have sold as many as they are going to at full price, it tends to be a case of discount it until they run out of buyers.

Keeping it full price on the Izotope site tends to help third-party sales, kind of a before/after thing going on. I imagine that Izotope looked at the user base, compared it to their pre-existing user mailing list and realised that they'd saturated it.

After that, you aim to attract new users via discounting and get them onto your database. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a Trash 3 or some other semi-related tool turn up this year and for everyone who buys one of these to be offered an upgrade deal, as that all seems to be fairly standard business practice these days.

True Abadonware for me has always been software that is de-listed and the developer is out of business. So, just because it's not developed actively, I find it a bit of a stretch to call it Abandonware as I imagine any program that is being sold, its still being supported if you mail them a question and supported software isn't Abandonware.

Trash I have to say a go-to tool for me these days. Absolutely love it. Iris is on my "things I should learn... but... ooooh a squirrel" pile.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Postby OneWorld » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:11 pm

Phunky wrote:Trilian(Spectrasonics) was released in 2009 and is still not being discounted, while Iris2(major update) was 6 years later. It's almost an entirely new plug-in and Izotope has nothing else to offer in the synth department, so why give up on it so soon?.

I bought the entire Air Music collection "https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/58-Inst-Bundle/2294-AIR-Instrument-Expansion-Pack-3-COMPLETE-UPGRADE-" a short while ago for 70 euros(Velvet(Rhodes emulation)alone is the price worth). For years a major part of the collection was part of the Pro Tools toolbox, and when their deal with PT expired nobody outside that world knew about them. A major discount kind of makes sense if you want to gain some traction, but that's not the case with Izotope.

Another couple of VSTs that I bought on the cheap recently was the Synthmaster 2.9+One bundle. 50 euros for both of them and they still being actively developed. And they are getting high praise everywhere also here at SOS: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/kv ... ynthmaster

I too got the Synthmaster +1 bundle and they are fantastic value for money. I also have NI Massive which came as part of Komplete, but I still go to Synthmaster in the first instance. And I find the developer very helpful with any problems that might arise. I note the SOS review was done a few years ago and among the critique it mentioned the odd 'crash' I think early day bugs have been sorted now and the software works each and everytime for me
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Phunky » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:27 pm

Pete Kaine wrote:Both have been on constant discount for over a year now, I think paid £29 a piece for them both at the tail end of 2017, just at different times as they were alternating the offers.

Once the software is a few years old, then they can be fairly sure that they have sold as many as they are going to at full price, it tends to be a case of discount it until they run out of buyers.

Keeping it full price on the Izotope site tends to help third-party sales, kind of a before/after thing going on. I imagine that Izotope looked at the user base, compared it to their pre-existing user mailing list and realised that they'd saturated it.

After that, you aim to attract new users via discounting and get them onto your database. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see a Trash 3 or some other semi-related tool turn up this year and for everyone who buys one of these to be offered an upgrade deal, as that all seems to be fairly standard business practice these days.

True Abadonware for me has always been software that is de-listed and the developer is out of business. So, just because it's not developed actively, I find it a bit of a stretch to call it Abandonware as I imagine any program that is being sold, its still being supported if you mail them a question and supported software isn't Abandonware.

Trash I have to say a go-to tool for me these days. Absolutely love it. Iris is on my "things I should learn... but... ooooh a squirrel" pile.

Makes sense. Thank you for laying it out.

OneWorld, Synthmaster One and Player had to be re-activated(Cubase) in my case but seems to work flawless even though they are both coloured red(error warning, I guess). 2.9 doesn't get flagged. A lot of great sounding synth for little money.
Phunky
Regular