You are here

One Synth Challenge III - This time it's personal

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

One Synth Challenge III - This time it's personal

Postby Dave B » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:02 pm

Well, I did warn you that it would roll around again and so it has. The winter nights are dark and cold and we are all counting our pennies until payday after splurging out on the festive season. What we really need is something cheap to occupy our time and minds until we get back into the swing of things again. What could this possibly be?? I know - another One Synth Challenge!!

:D

Yay! I hear you cry! And the people did rejoice. Well, a couple went "oh ok" and that counts in my book. So I'm 'aving it!

So, once again, and for the sake of people who haven't done one before (all are welcome and , in fact, actively encouraged) let's go over the format :

1. Pick a synth - any synth, any kind - to use. It can be your favourite / old faithful, or something completely new (which can be a lot of fun). Maybe you have something languishing that you thought might be cool but never really got around to giving it much time? Grab that.

2. Write a track. Or grab a midi file of an existing track. Or modify something. Or dig out an old track you've had lying around and think might benefit from a new lick of (metaphorical) paint.

3. Use said synth to create the parts for said track. You can use as many layers / instances as you like. The idea is to restrict yourself to one synth, not one pass of that synth.

4. If you really want to, use said synth to create all the drum sounds too. But, if you are like me and really can't be bothered, then existing drum samples/sounds are fine too. I've done both, and may mix it up this time. Meh. Look, as long as you mention in your submission that you used 'xxxx to do the drum / percussion sounds' then that's all fine.

5. Effects - yep, you can add them in the DAW. Please feel free to get creative - if you want to use a single oscillator monosynth and a dozen Eventides, then go for it. But please don't go too extreme on any eq or filtering - we are trying to guess what synth was used here so let's try and retain some of the character. A bit. Sort of.

6. We talked about a theme for the music last time. And then almost nobody used it. So this time, if anyone wants a theme it will be "renewal" as that's nice and vague.

7. Timewise, it's the 13th Jan now, so how about we set a deadline for submission of the 10th Feb. That will give me that day to compile and publish the tracks and we can give the results by the end of that week.

How do you get involved? Easy - reply either on this thread (I'll ask the mods to sticky it) or via PM. I'll make a note .. probably. (I'm sometimes a bit flakey - you may have noticed) When we get to the submission date, please send me a PM with a link to somewhere where I can grab your track (googledrive, dropbox, etc). Ideally, I'd like a full bandwidth version rather than any aac/mp3 so that we retain as much quality as we can. I will upload the results to a (private) playlist in SoundCloud and then publish the final playlist when we are all done. If you finish your track early then feel free to PM me. If you could also let me know what you used to create the track, I can publish the results in one fell swoop (although Richie does insist on keeping this particular idiot in suspense!).

And the prize for guessing correctly?

Kudos!

Ok, anyone who takes part can find me at this year's Synthfest and claim their free tea and kitkat. Can't say fairer than that.

Above all, don't stress! It's just a bit of fun! I'll publish a link to the previous entries sometime later for those who are curious about the types of tracks that get created. The previous challenge threads are in the forum still so feel free to peruse.

One more thing. If you fancy the challenge but don't have something to use, then feel free to shout - there may be a fellow forumee prepared to loan gear to a nice chap. Failing that, there are some excellent freeware / donationware synths out there we can recommend - someone used one last year and nobody twigged.

Let the fun commence!
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: One Synth Challenge III - This time it's personal

Postby Dan LB » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:38 pm

Yay :bouncy:
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:42 pm

I'm in :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby IAA » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:44 pm

Count me in again Dave. :thumbup:
IAA
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:51 pm

I might even have a go myself :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Folderol » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:14 pm

Ho Hum, I suppose I'd better join in again as well.
Someone needs to maintain standards (or at least, the lower limit) :bouncy: :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:01 pm

Folderol wrote:Ho Hum, I suppose I'd better join in again as well.
Someone needs to maintain standards (or at least, the lower limit) :bouncy: :lol:

If I do manage to get something done I think I'll easily claim the lowest of lower limits :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:35 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
Folderol wrote:Ho Hum, I suppose I'd better join in again as well.

If I do manage to get something done I think I'll easily claim the lowest of lower limits :D
Don't get ahead of yourself, I may have another go... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:56 pm

Do you think the organisers might offer a prize for the worst track produced? :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:45 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Do you think the organisers might offer a prize for the worst track produced? :D
Noooo :shock:
Don't go there :?
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:59 pm

Am I take to to understand that the main challenge is to try and identify the synth of choice for each track once we've all finished?

I'm agonising over two candidate models right now. One is easier, one is more challenging ... we'll see.

I'm ruling out the Kronos, because it's a studio in a box, and as near as darnit cheating for me, and I'm ruling out the SY85 because it's too obvious in my case (plus, having three of them, I could technically cheat by using 3 synths in an undetectable manner) ;)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:03 pm

I think it's both:
Identify the Synth
Identify the composer/synthist
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:25 pm

Folderol wrote:I think it's both:
Identify the Synth
Identify the composer/synthist

This sounds like my kind of fun :tongue:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:26 pm

Dave B wrote:if anyone wants a theme it will be "renewal" as that's nice and vague

Gosh. https://soundcloud.com/eddy-deegan/renewal

No, that's not my entry, but I like the theme :)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:42 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Do you think the organisers might offer a prize for the worst track produced?

OK. I'm in.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Folderol » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:30 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Dave B wrote:if anyone wants a theme it will be "renewal" as that's nice and vague

Gosh. https://soundcloud.com/eddy-deegan/renewal

No, that's not my entry, but I like the theme :)
Hmmm
I fink you dun dis sorta fing before.... like :tongue:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:32 pm

BJG145 wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:Do you think the organisers might offer a prize for the worst track produced?

OK. I'm in.
Well I have a cunning plan that's looking promising already :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Dr R » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:02 am

:bouncy: I'm all ears!
Can't play a damn' thing but I love listening to the results.
Dr R
Regular
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:10 am

Well, I've spent a day mulling over what I'm going to do and with what, and after work today I spent a couple of hours laying hands on keys.

The track is sketched out (not recorded yet but I've played it on piano through a few times and I'm happy with it) and now I'm faced with decisions as to which synth to use.

Normally it would be a no-brainer - this is most definitely a workstation track, but I'm really not wanting to use a workstation as that seems a little too easy, so I'm trying a few things out on much more limited hardware (not 100% decided which one yet though - that's a task for tomorrow).

We'll see how it goes, but I'm feeling pretty up-beat about the whole process so far!

Anyone else planned anything out yet?
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:52 am

I'm in

I've got a promising track that been brewing for a couple of weeks - I might use it - not sure it's good enough yet ??

Which synth to use is the tricky one !
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Next