You are here

One Synth Challenge III - This time it's personal

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: One Synth Challenge III - This time it's personal

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:07 pm

Jumpeyspyder wrote:Can't wait to play with this :bouncy:

Enjoy :-) I also set the feedback on the delay such that each note repeated about 8 times, each repeat quieter than the last, which fills the sound out rather nicely. Experimentation is the key really.

It's an old old trick - I created an entire track out of pretty much nothing but this technique once - https://soundcloud.com/eddy-deegan/megadelay (the heavy bass riff about 40 seconds in is almost the same as that in Swansong actually, just with a much fatter and squelchier analogue-sounding patch courtesy of the SY85).
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby fruitcake » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:14 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to all the tracks. You are all very talented!
I’m in the process of moving my studio/room of noisy stuff. I haven’t set up my MIDI interface so the Yamaha seemed like a good idea for the challenge. I bought the CS15 for $100 in 1981. I loved the bottom end on it then. As now.
My first idea was to create a drum track using several passes of white noise at different cutoff through the lfo, then sync it by tempo mapping in my DAW. I gave that idea up pretty early. I didn’t have the time or patience for that.
I used one track of white noise and bussed to 2 aux channels with different delays.
To try hide the monophonic-ness, I did a few passes to build the opening chords.
Then I used the strength of the CS, the massive bass.
I felt really handicapped without MIDI, and the rather limited sonic pallet. I’ve since thought of some things to try to coax different sounds out of that thing. Maybe next challenge!
fruitcake
Regular

Postby Dave B » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:45 pm

Fruity, I was impressed. For a moment I actually thought that you'd gone for a modular. That CS can be quite a raw sounding beast. I've known a couple of people swear by them but never really paid much attention. I shall have to perk up a bit I think.

Elsewhere .... An OB-6 .... how did I not get that ?? Excuse me whilst I go and ritually disembowel myself (honourably) in shame....

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Rich Hanson » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:01 pm

I have to admit to having a wry smile when Eddy guessed at a DSI Prophet for my Waldorf Rocket piece. Guess I must have done a decent job there 8-)
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:02 pm

fruitcake wrote:I bought the CS15 for $100 in 1981. I loved the bottom end on it then. As now.

Just re-listened to this... that CS15 is quite something and a lovely gnarly bottom it has too. I also love the little repeats off into the distance at the very end - nice touch.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby MarkyC » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:23 pm

Blimey a lot to process – will spend time tonight playing the tracks and then googling the gear!
I really love the low end that some of these tracks have, something I’ll aspire to do in the future. :thumbup:
Also some of you guys have just pushed it creatively in such a positive way.

Must admit this was the first thing I have done on the Peak (in fact the first thing I have done ever that was not the Virus!) and really enjoyed it and for once dead happy with the result.

Dr R. if it is my one then yeah use it no problem, PM me if you want a download.
To be continued after more listening……..
MarkyC
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:40 pm

Mine was simply a recording of my half of a live two-man improv. Of itself it's incomplete, hence the gaps and pauses. I just thought it was a fun way to join in. :lol:

It was a Mellotron 4000D, plugged into a Line 6 Helix pedalboard accompanied by a Roland RC-505 looper - all in real time and unedited.

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with the 4000D; it feels and plays just like a tape Mellotron, but the MIDI implementation is woefully lacking, meaning it's pretty much for live performance or nothing - which is both a blessing and a curse. I could hardly believe when I found out that it outputs poly aftertouch, but doesn't respond to it! :headbang: :thumbdown:

Since that recording I've been doing a mini-tour of my one-man Mellotron improv, which seems to be going down well. Those performances arguably stand better on their own than the one here.

Lastly, I'm humbled by Eddy's kind words! :blush: :oops: :blush: :oops: :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:12 pm

First of all I think this OSC in particular (and my complete failure to peg any synths) demonstrates how synthically challenged I am. I must also confess that for many years now I've only used the one synth for all my work.

To that end, I think I will need to visit all of you for training on {gulp}other hardware. I will probably need a couple of stiff drinks first though to conquer the fear factor - along with the embarrassment of exposing my ignorance in front of them wot noe.

Moving swiftly on.
I'm pleased I was at least sort-of right with Elf for No. 14. It is a delightful themic work.
Dave B and Niece - another fave.
Eddy's No.9 - With hindsight I should have guessed who, if not what. Loved it.
No5. Really classy.
No 1 Rich. I gather this synth is regarded as somewhat 'primitive'. I would never have guessed. Good work.

Those are just the stand-outs for me. All of the others were very enjoyable.

As for my efforts. This was a complete re-image (for want of a better term) of something I composed in the early 1990s with just an SY22 and Sound Canvas. It's now, of course, all done in Yoshimi.

There are a total of 15 'instruments', several of which use 2 out of the 3 synth engines,. These all have different LFO and filter components. The sweeping pad sound uses all 3 engines. Of Yoshimi's built in effects echo, chorus, phaser and EQ are on various channels, with an overall reverb applied in varying amounts per channel.

The actual audio recording was made in a single pass.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby IAA » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:14 pm

Sorry late to the party (but even so I would mever have guessed – might have said a Kronos for track 14 - which kinda says that its not the technology now it’s the mind behind it and that's fab . They’re all great pieces and uniformly the ideas and execution feel top drawer considering for many of you they would have been done in “borrowed time”.

Dave thanks for doing this (again) – it forced us to really dig into some of the instruments we have and that’s never a bad thing is it?

Anyway here’s my take after a thoroughly enjoyable hour or so listening whilst reading the minutes and papers of the next parish council meeting…..

• Track 1 : Great bass sound - reminded me of jeff waynes war of the worlds and I think that was a P5! Some lovely orchestral backdrops and very lush complimentary reverb – The lead line resonance towards the end was nicely done too.
• Track 2 : Those sounds on intro are really nice in the stereo plane – The driving bass drum and the string stabs go really great together – the Bass reminded me of an 80’s track which I cant put my finger on – That last section is a complete contrast and lovely balance – really shows the versatility of the synth And just when I thought it had finished…
• Track 3 : Like the swell chords – I’m not sure you’d ever not think that was some old Juno! – Liked the OMDesque bit in the middle. I like this 80s vibe throughout – great sounds.
• Track 4 : Mine done on the s/w version of the JV – I loved the sounds of this back in the day and always wanted to do a prog/orchestral bit and never managed to programme it - but the Roland Cloud version makes that a doddle – I did leave some preset sounds completely unedited – cause there still great (if a little dated) and that Sine bass is a monster :bouncy:
• Track 5 : That’s a nice pan pipe lead! Great tempo – tapped al lot to this one - the Sax voice was very well played I liked the feeling in that.
• Track 6 : Some nice chord voicing’s and I like the chaotic atmosphere underpinning them – the bass sounds terrific on my system! The percussion was fantastic too - The lead line reminded me of Jordan R sounds in LTE. (that’s positive!)
• Track 7 : I thought this was analogue those stabs reminded me of my P6 so was convinced it was similar – some versatile lead riffs and a few lines that made me think of Klaus S! Must check this synth out now – pretty versatile isn’t it! What a key change made me practically spill my tea – never saw it coming!
• Track 8 : What a combination of sine bass and organ(esque) like the percussive riff too. Some great resonance and formant filter stuff(?)
• Track 9 : Great sequence to start and some lovely squelchy discordant voicings which do enough to keep you on your seat for the next change – and then that lovely swell with what sounds like some great osc sync action. Nice builds too - like the high speed change at @ 2 mins in.
• Track 10 : Really lovely (human!) voice – so pure great stuff and a bang on set of sounds from what I used to think was a limited synth (from a programming standpoint) – it’s a nice mix too really balanced and everything in its place.
• Track 11 : Like stepping in a time machine - those lovely phasey chords and that biting bass!
• Track 12 : those strings are so vibey great to hear – I used to lust after a Delta back in the day – if I’d known then you could get those lovely lead sounds – I would have bought one rather than pass for the Juno 6! Nice bass line
• Track 13 : Like the slight pitch variance to kick off and a lovely woody bass - like the slow brass attack and the build with that lovely squelchy goodness!
• Track 14 : Loved the mood this sets – and really dig the tron done like this – its really beautiful and much more versatile than I’m used to (I use tron samples in lots of my music but too conservatively I think after listening to this!) That harmonics at 20 mins (is it really an harmonica?) is very disturbing! The cello is so deep too – really sets a tone for the closing section – you’ve certainly not let an 8 second limitation get in the way of creativity great stuff – finally love the reverb - what was it Valhalla?

Roll on next OSC - my dream synth (Moog One) might have landed in the studio by then and it would be fun to do a piece with just that!!

Ian
IAA
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:57 pm

Folderol wrote:To that end, I think I will need to visit all of you for training on {gulp}other hardware. I will probably need a couple of stiff drinks first though to conquer the fear factor - along with the embarrassment of exposing my ignorance in front of them wot noe.
Any time you're ready, mate. Always happy to share my own ignorance!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby MarkyC » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:46 pm

As I’m still learning about this stuff I spent the evening listening to all the tracks and then looking up the gear used, and very enjoyable and insightful it was too!
So for what it’s worth (and really it isn’t worth anything) ……

The Waldorf Rocket, blimey such a tiny thing yet it really does sound amazing and all in very musical! – I’ve now listened to some demos of this but Rich’s track is better.
Jumpeyspyder’s Novation UltraNova just sounds so deep and dreamy – sitting in this hotel room looking out at the Leeds city lights twinkling in the background, it’s actually a perfect sound scape for where I am. Thanks Jumpy.
For IIA’s it not just the sound that’s impressive but great playing – wife and I just looked at each other when this came on cool, atmospheric and big! You think ooh that’s great keyboard playing and then the bass hits you!
BJG45 had not heard of a Yamaha VL70 before and as such this caused lots of head scratching and which bits a synth? type thoughts – OK! now I get it, wind synth must surely be a new hipster trend thing organic sounding and synthy! Different and fresh
The CS15 just has that low end analogue umph, Fruitcake you must just love this thing and it shows. This is a man’s synth (or woman’s) but played manly and no mistake. (Sorry just realised that Fruitcake is gender neutral so hope I haven’t offended)
Folderol – I wish I had more guts and said I thought this was your one. I love the composition. I know you had it at Synthfest but I can’t seem to find much out on Yoshimi …
Richie’s Nord Lead is blinking well funky! Mostly when I see these used it is for piano or organ but this had loads more sounds and groove!
Eddy and his Korg Trinity is just epic – it’s one of those ones you listen to and then go, nuts I wish I could do that! Big sounds, highs and lows, breaks, just as you are relaxing into it you wonder that something a bit ominous is coming….
DaveB you and your niece should be soo happy with this – it just makes me smile and feel happy – what’s not to like. And blimey how few takes for the vocal! As for the tetra again it’s a tiny thing! I’m seriously questioning my preconceptions hear.
Keiransi ah the DX7! It just has it’s own era all wrapped up in one oral package, I don’t know why but I just want to grab a cocktail somewhere warm and relax
Ah and I’m off dreaming again to Rich’s Korg Delta – analaogy, warm, and yet a bit melancholy at the same time. I must say I’m also a sucker for anything that has shakers in it so I’m sold already. These old synths really do have something to them and I can see what all the fuss is.
Ohh the DSI OB-6 sounds lush with Dan LB just layering those lush pads over a cool bass it’s all very hypnotic. So hypnotic I’ve just realised I’ve played it three times over and need to call the wife at some point!
Ah and then there was the Elf – I listened to this without knowing what it was some time ago, just chilling in the office on a sunny winters day and it was lovely. Again this one changes my perception of what the instrument is, this feels just so now. I’ve been to ambient gigs where there are racks of PC’s, controllers and Euro racks and often they don’t connect – but this does.

Thanks Dave, not only for the challenge but the education!
Blimey that’s more than I have written for quite some time!
MarkyC
Regular

Postby Richie Royale » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback Marky.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale 

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:27 pm

IAA wrote:Track 14 : Loved the mood this sets – and really dig the tron done like this...
...you’ve certainly not let an 8 second limitation get in the way of creativity great stuff
:oops: Thank you.

The 8 second-per-note limitation is actually a major part of the creative push - it forces me to keep moving (and the closing part of some of the tapes can be quite gnarly!). Similarly the loops and delays do much the same. I *have* to keep things progressing. TBH it's like spinning plates! I can't leave anything for too long and I have to keep revisiting and replacing plates I set spinning. Sometimes I get it wrong, and sometimes I get a very wobbly plate!

This piece for OSC is only my half of a two-man improv. It is much easier when I have someone to bounce off and relax for a moment while I consider my next move, but it makes it more spaced out when it's out of context like this.

IAA wrote:(is it really an harmonica?) is very disturbing!
I think(!) :? it's Steel Guitar through a multiple fuzz/distortion combo.

IAA wrote:finally love the reverb - what was it Valhalla?
The reverb is all from the Helix.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:29 pm

MarkyC wrote:Ah and then there was the Elf – I listened to this without knowing what it was some time ago, just chilling in the office on a sunny winters day and it was lovely. Again this one changes my perception of what the instrument is, this feels just so now. I’ve been to ambient gigs where there are racks of PC’s, controllers and Euro racks and often they don’t connect – but this does.
:oops:
Thank you, my friend.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:38 pm

I was close with a few, but others completely foxed me. I like that! It colours my world! :clap:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby IAA » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:47 am

but great playing

Thank you MarkyC! :blush:

Elf, where are you playing , I live near Sheffield would love to see the show.

Ian
IAA
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:13 am

IAA wrote:Elf, where are you playing , I live near Sheffield would love to see the show.
The next scheduled is actually in York on 4th April, but it will actually only be a 15-minute version as part of the 'Electronic Music Open Mic' event.

15 minutes to set up, 15 minutes to perform... Something about that appeals to me. 8-)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:47 am

IAA wrote:Track 1 : Great bass sound - reminded me of jeff waynes war of the worlds and I think that was a P5! Some lovely orchestral backdrops and very lush complimentary reverb – The lead line resonance towards the end was nicely done too.

Thanks for the nice words. :thumbup:

As for the reverb, it does sound nice, doesn't it? The thing is, there is absolutely none at all! Just delays on some parts, but they were more for rhythm than ambience. I just happened to hit upon the sweet spot for longer release times doing the work in place of reverb!
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:28 pm

The Elf wrote:The next scheduled is actually in York on 4th April, but it will actually only be a 15-minute version as part of the 'Electronic Music Open Mic' event.

::: Goes off for a quick google... :::
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:30 pm

The Elf wrote:15 minutes to set up, 15 minutes to perform... Something about that appeals to me. 8-)
Will try and get along to that, but you might need to review your set up procedure, from the website "Performers: slots will be about 15 minutes (including set up and pack down times), "
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

PreviousNext