You are here

One Synth Challenge III - This time it's personal

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: One Synth Challenge III - This time it's personal

Postby The Elf » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:13 pm

blinddrew wrote:
The Elf wrote:15 minutes to set up, 15 minutes to perform... Something about that appeals to me. 8-)
Will try and get along to that, but you might need to review your set up procedure, from the website "Performers: slots will be about 15 minutes (including set up and pack down times), "
Hadn't spotted that. OK, maybe mine is a 10 minute performance! :lol:

It's not confirmed yet, so hang fire for the moment. I'll let people know if I'm definitely on the bill.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Folderol » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:01 pm

Thanks again for those who commented on Yoshimi.
With some reluctance I have to point out that currently it is Linux only. My understanding is that it would be comparatively easy to port it across to the Mac but nobody on the team has the knowledge or the hardware to do that.

However, for those with a interest in what it can do - and need some bed-time reading, here is a PDF copy of the advanced user guide. Please keep in mind that this has been written by complete amateurs and I know there are duplications and errors :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby IAA » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:34 pm

here is a PDF copy of the advanced user guide
Crikey, now that’s what I call a user manual! You ought to show Roland so they have an idea that a user manual is more than 2 pages of stuff you can work out from just looking at the screen! :headbang:

I’m Mac but if ever you port, count me in as a tester it’s a lovely sounding instrument.

Ian
IAA
Regular

Postby Wonks » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:48 pm

Now if only it could be translated into Japanese and then back to English again, it should be perfect!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Dave B » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:40 pm

Wonks wrote:Now if only to can it could translated into Japanese being and then return to the language English times one, it should achieve perfection!

As you are talking about a Roland manual, I’ve fixed that for you.

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:58 pm

IAA wrote:Sorry late to the party (but even so I would mever have guessed ... They’re all great pieces and uniformly the ideas and execution feel top drawer considering for many of you they would have been done in “borrowed time”.

Hear hear - totally agree with you on The Elf's opus and thank you for the kind words - I thought your contribution was beautifully done, it's a lovely piece of work!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby IAA » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:19 am

your contribution was beautifully done, it's a lovely piece of work

Eddie, thank you. I really enjoyed pushing that old JV and the limitations then become inspirational rather than just fire up the Kronos or grab another plug in.

Ian
IAA
Regular

Postby BillB » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:38 am

Hi folks, I have been sitting on the sidelines for this one, as I have been stupidly busy at work. I had got up at 5:30 to write a report, on the morning Dave published OSC3, so was one of the first to hear it. Problem was, I was trying to work and wanted some nice background music, and OSC3 wasn’t it! I kept thinking ‘that sounds like Eddie’s chops’ or ‘what kind of FM is that?’... Argh, all too interesting, too lovely and too distracting.

Still have not had the time to properly sit down, listen, and compare to the performers’ notes, which would be fascinating. Really looking forward to the chance to do that.

Just want to say a big ‘well done’ to all for the fantastically musical and talented work, and especially big thanks to Dave for organising. From quite a few of the comments, it’s obvious that you are driving some folks to move beyond acquiring gear to actually using it to make music, and that is a most noble cause. Hope to be able to join in next time around and, yes, actually use some of my gear. Meanwhile, I’ll seek inspiration from your great works.

Final thought, this has got to be one of the most friendly and supportive places on the web. Unbeatable. As Elf said a while back, “Can you feel the love?” :D
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby DavyP » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:14 pm

BillB wrote:Just want to say a big ‘well done’ to all for the fantastically musical and talented work, and especially big thanks to Dave for organising. From quite a few of the comments, it’s obvious that you are driving some folks to move beyond acquiring gear to actually using it to make music, and that is a most noble cause. Hope to be able to join in next time around and, yes, actually use some of my gear. Meanwhile, I’ll seek inspiration from your great works.

Final thought, this has got to be one of the most friendly and supportive places on the web. Unbeatable. As Elf said a while back, “Can you feel the love?” :D

This!!! Sometimes the gear talk/lust is overwhelming on most forums and you wonder where the actual end product is?
DavyP
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sat May 11, 2019 10:59 am

Oh well, late to the party too, if you visit the link you'll see the album Storm Clouds Over Cricklewood, the whole album, apart for the very first track, was done solely on an Alesis Micron.

https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com
Arpangel
Frequent Poster

Postby tcles » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:33 pm

when do you think you will do this again, it sounds like fun.
tcles

Postby Dave B » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:44 am

tcles, we are currently having a summer break / doing the 'forum album' (see post in Musician's Lounge) but I'd like to run one again in the autumn-ish. The trick is to find a time when people aren't busy and don't mind being locked in a room with hot synth to slave over. Times when money is tight (after holidays, before the xmas madness, etc) is also good as it stops us buying toys to cheer us up. Well .. it does in my case anyway..

I'll post a new thread when it's time for OSC 4. Probably late September / early October. We could even do a 'halloween theme' this time (John Carpenter would approve I'm sure)...

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Previous