You are here

Is it possible to EQ a microphone before recording its sound?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Is it possible to EQ a microphone before recording its sound?

Postby Wonks » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:26 am

Very true.

Which makes everything more complicated if the OP want to use the EQ device on other people's computers. Which makes having a USB device complicated, as it would then have to be the main audio input/output device if (as I suspect) it's being connected to a Windows computer, and that could be very unwanted (or impractical) by the owners of the other computer.

The other computer(s) may or may not have a line-in port, which means all that's needed is an adapter from a1/4" TRS or XLR to 3.5mm jack. If not, then a passive DI box would take a line output down to a mic input and again, you'd only need an adapter cable from 1/4" to 3.5mm jack.

But then if multiple mics are being used in the live streaming situations, there must be either an audio interface with several mic pres being used, or a mixer, which should have EQ on.

It would help a lot if dred2009 could explain in detail the number of mics used at the live stream events, and how they are connected to the computer. Is there an external audio interface or a mixer being used? Or is it still just one mic plugged directly into the computer's own soundcard?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Mike Stranks » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:15 pm

OK; I've had a rootle around in the 'Mixcraft 'Help' pages, the video tutorials and just Googling in general.

Can't find anything related to Mixcraft 7 Pro that talks about applying EQ on the way in... so as this thread has indicated it's probable that the EQ will have to be adjusted externally before the audio gets to the DAW.

But as has been stated, we need more detail about the elements in the recording chain and how they're connected to each other.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:30 pm

Ah, that scuppers my suggestion then.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby dred2009 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:34 am

Thanks, everyone. It's hard to find a so active music/sound engineering forum like this one.
so far I have been well informed about this subject thanks to you all. I think a channel strip or a third party software would be the best option in these cases because I aim to find a way to eq right after the computer receive the audio. Thus, I would be able to use the microphone EQ audio for purposes not only musical - like the podcast example that I already mentioned.
dred2009
Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:21 am

The easiest really would be to have an external channel strip and use a regular microphone (not usb) if you aren’t already doing that. Strips usually have all the facilities you need in one box, and a decent mic which works well with podcasts doesn’t need to be expensive at all (taker the Audio-Technica AT2020 for example). Also, if you’ll need an audio interface if you don’t have one already but again a one or two channel interface with a line input isn’t a big cost at all, especially if you look at the used market.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:38 pm

dred2009 wrote:Thanks, everyone. It's hard to find a so active music/sound engineering forum like this one.
so far I have been well informed about this subject thanks to you all. I think a channel strip or a third party software would be the best option in these cases because I aim to find a way to eq right after the computer receive the audio. Thus, I would be able to use the microphone EQ audio for purposes not only musical - like the podcast example that I already mentioned.

You still haven't answered what you microphone is and if you have a 'proper' audio interface (USB usually)? Even with a channel strip you still need to get it into your computer. The usual way is via a USB audio interface but if your computer has a 'line in' you could possibly use that. You are not going top get the best quality though if you use the laptops internal sound card, .
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous