You are here

mic position

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: mic position

Postby Tim Gillett » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:49 am

Sam Spoons wrote:It's a decent recording of a lovely performance, that there are some technical failings does not detract from that performance. And, it's a YouTube FFS, it might have sounded brilliant before they got there hands on it...............

Recording good vocal and acoustic guitar at the same time was always tricky. The problem here is that the audio recordist seems oblivious to those difficulties and uses poor mic placements. We see those mic placements and we hear the audio. On Barleycorn at least, Winwood did not record the audio himself. Check the end credits. IMO this is an excellent demonstration how not to record vocal and guitar audio at the same time.
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster

Re: mic position

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:45 am

I've been feeling increasingly uncomfortable about the way this thread has developed and the post above is really the final straw. So in the absence of any factually accurate information about the source recording, its post-production, and its YouTube publishing, I'm locking the thread to end increasingly presumptive denigrations.

I'm all for encouraging constructive discussions about sound quality on these forums, but not when the debate turns into accusative criticisms of specific people based purely on suppositions and baseless assumptions -- and especially so when those concerned don't have an opportunity to explain or defend their actions. That approach may be tolerated on other forums, but it's not what we do here.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous