You are here

Studio layout - which way to fire speakers, and ideal length?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Studio layout - which way to fire speakers, and ideal length?

Postby Sosabba » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:07 pm

Hi all

I've just moved house and will at some point be rearranging the attached cowshed and converting it to a music room. It's very early days and a lot of work will be needed. I'm just starting to form some basic ideas though and wondered if anyone can help with a couple of questions...

1. Would I be best of with the speakers firing into the long or short dimension? And how much of a difference will it make? The room is 4.55m wide, will be roughly 6.3 to 7m long (see below). The ceiling is vaulted and is around 2.3m where it meets the wall, and 4m at the apex.

2. The length hasn't been set yet; hence the approximation above. Given the width and height, what would an ideal length be? Is it even possible to calculate with a vaulted ceiling?

Many thanks :)
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Re: Studio layout - which way to fire speakers, and ideal length?

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:53 pm

Down the length of the room, and the bigger the better as long as you avoid multiples (which shouldn't be an issue actually in your space (but, probably go to either the max or min length as 6.825 m is exactly 1.5 times the width which would not be ideal). I'm sure a precise best length could be calculated even with the vaulted ceiling but that is beyond my skills.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi Sosabba!

I agree with Sam that it's generally best to fire down the longer dimension. I'll trot out this screengrab of mine in my own tiny studio showing the difference in firing down the short and long dimensions before installing any acoustic treatment.

...and here's the review in question, so you can read in particular the section entitled 'The Long And The Short Of It'

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/re ... micro-trap

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:43 pm

Here's a couple of useful links from Hugh and Waltern8tor from previous discussions:
Calculating room sizes: http://www.acoustic.ua/forms/calculator7_1.en.html
Calculating room nodes: http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-roommodes.htm
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sosabba » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:07 am

Thanks for the replies and input.

RE Choosing Length... I've used room ratio calculators in the past but they were for rooms with a flat ceiling... What to do when the ceiling is vaulted? Does that throw all calculators out the window?

RE Orientation... Likewise I've always read and thought it's best to fire into the long dimension. The reason I asked was because in previous rooms I've had, the back wall has been less than 3m away. At 4.5m I didn't know if things start to be different. Plus I've seen studios with massive mxing desks which are much wider than long, but then I guess they are usually bigger outfits and also professional spaces designed from the ground up.

Funnily enough, like Martin I have the opportunity for a beautifully amazing view if I fire into the shorter dimension, and it would just lend itself to the "Feng Shui" of the room to be that way around. But ultimately sound is most important so I want that to dictate. There are other rooms with nice views :)

One other thing, with a vaulted ceiling is there a best way to face? IE should the apex run the length of the room or across it. Hope that makes sense!

Thanks again :)
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:42 pm

Sosabba wrote:What to do when the ceiling is vaulted? Does that throw all calculators out the window?
As a starting point, take the average height. But just to emphasise this again, if you're going to be spending serious money on this then you need to get a proper acoustician involved right from the start. :)

Sosabba wrote:Plus I've seen studios with massive mxing desks which are much wider than long, but then I guess they are usually bigger outfits and also professional spaces designed from the ground up.
Yep, there's a world of difference between a converted outbuilding and a professionally designed room.

Sosabba wrote:One other thing, with a vaulted ceiling is there a best way to face? IE should the apex run the length of the room or across it. Hope that makes sense!)
You're aiming for symmetry in your mixing room, so if there's an obvious way to achieve that (or the converse), start with that. But I refer you again to my comment about getting an acoustician involved early doors. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...