You are here

Problems with sound output with chaining G-Tec Hard Drive and Apogee Duet

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Problems with sound output with chaining G-Tec Hard Drive and Apogee Duet

Postby Baldo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:16 pm

I have a chained a G-Tec hard drive and an Apogee Duet sound card and I am getting all kinds of distortion on the sound output. It was fine if I dont have the external hard drive connected to the mac.

So I connect the G-Tec hard drive to the mac via FW800 and then connect the Apogee Duet to the hard drive.

I have an old Macbook Pro running logic Pro X.

I have had problems with digital sounding ie harsh random noise on recordings when I recorded this way and the only way around was to remove the external.

It seems that it is the chainging that is causing these problems, so should I just connect the G-Tec using a USB 2 connector?

Many thanks for any help.
Baldo
Baldo
Regular
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Re: Problems with sound output with chaining G-Tec Hard Drive and Apogee Duet

Postby Baldo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:54 am

No one????

Someone here must know how to deal this!!!
Baldo
Regular
"Never put a recording studio in your home, it is a black hole into which you can pour unlimited amounts of money" Pete Waterman.

Postby Wonks » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:47 pm

How have you 'chained' them. What model of Duet (Firewire connection or USB)? What model of G-tec hard drive do you have?

Assuming FW400, is the G-tec drive bus powered like the Apogee? If the G-tec uses an external power supply you may have a ground loop if the PSU's 0v is connected to earth.

The simple answer would be to try the G-Tec on a USB-2 connection if it has both FW and USB ports.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:37 pm

I believe the Duet is this model Wonks: https://www.apogeedigital.com/products/ ... oduct-tour

I'd suggest chaining any storage device to the audio interface isn't the best idea. The specifications at http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/d ... ifications mention ...

USB 2.0 audio interface for Mac, PC or iOS (my emphasis)

... so that may well be the problem.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Wonks » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:51 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I believe the Duet is this model Wonks: https://www.apogeedigital.com/products/ ... oduct-tour
Or it could be this one, the original Apogee Duet Firewire http://www.apogeedigital.com/pdf/duet_usersguide.pdf

But then none of them have two USB or two FW ports, so I'm not sure how they could be chained unless a hub was used.

The OP needs to give us more technical details.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:04 pm

Wonks wrote:Or it could be this one, the original Apogee Duet Firewire

Based on https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 19&t=65025 I think it's the later USB version.

Wonks wrote:The OP needs to give us more technical details.

... but yes, I agree :)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Wonks » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:13 pm

Only because you assumed it was. :) Baldo never got back on the comments made.

But I missed this in the original post (maybe it was edited in later but I didn't look at it again)

"So I connect the G-Tec hard drive to the mac via FW800 and then connect the Apogee Duet to the hard drive."

So to do that I think it must be the Apogee Duet FW.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Baldo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:14 pm

thanks guys,

THe G-Tec is a 1TB (Gen 4). It has two FW 800 connectors, an eSata and a small usb2 connector. It does have its own power supply but that has plastic earth connector so there is no earthing connector.

I connected the usb 2 connector but my Mac could not see the drive when I did that. If I connect the drive to my Mac via the FW800 the mac can read and write to the drive.

The duet has breakout cables to connect the audio I/O. It also has one FW cable to connect to the Mac.

So to connect both devices I connect the G-Tec to the Mac via FW800 and then connect the other FW socket on the G-tec to the duet.

However this produces all kinds of distorted sound.

Let me know if you need any further information on this.

I'll take a look at the above links as well.
Baldo
Regular

Postby Baldo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:15 pm

The Apogee only has a FW connector to connect to the Mac, no USB.
Baldo
Regular

Postby Baldo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:22 pm

The duet is one of the earlier models with a complete Aluminium enclosure. It has no USB or Midi connectors on it.
Baldo
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:27 pm

[Edit - ignore original version of this post]

I think Wonks has a better handle on this than I do however ;-)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:11 pm

I'm really near the limits of my knowledge here though.

I do know that some FW audio interfaces didn't like being daisy-chained or even being on the same FW bus. I couldn't run my MOTU traveller and Focusrite Liquid Mix from the same FW card (shared bus) and I had to use two FW cards. Whilst the FW 800 link should carry the data from the Duet at FW400 speeds, I'd imagine that if the hard drive is being written to or from when the Duet's in use, it could block some of the Duet data long enough for buffers to overrun. Or it may simply be electrical noise from the drive being passed up the FW cable to the Duet.

I just don't have a clue here. So I'd do whatever you can to get the system to work smoothly.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Baldo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:52 pm

Ok, so it seems that chaining digitial and analouge devices does not seem to work to well.

Ive now connected the G-Tec using a USB 2 connector, (it seems that the problem previously with USB was the wire!!!)
Baldo
Regular

Postby Wonks » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Also, a lot of FW AIs only work well with a Texas Instruments chip set. The Mac will have one, but the hard drive may not, which could be at least part of the problem.
Wonks
Jedi Poster