You are here

Acoustic guitar sustain increase device?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Acoustic guitar sustain increase device?

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:41 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:The strings are silver coated classical guitar strings.

Well, not exactly, the construction and tension is completely different. The Argentines (which I use on my Aylward BTW) are steel cored, like normal electric and acoustic strings but the windings differ, 'normal' strings are Nickel, Steel wrapped (electric) or Brass or Bronze wrapped for acoustic strings. The key difference is that Argentines are copper wound with a silver coating. Classical strings use a number of different windings (including silver plated copper). Modern ones usually have a nylon or composite core. Macaferri's original guitars used the standard classical strings of the day with solid gut trebles and copper wound on a silk core basses.

Changing just the top E will not do any harm to the guitar and the slight increase in tension will most likely increase sustain (in fact I use 10s on the Aylward but am considering trying an 11 top E as it sounds a little weak. It is due for a restring though so I will do that first in case it's just the old strings causing the issue).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DC-Choppah » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:28 am

Thanks for that. I am going to try a .012" and .013" on the top.

You showed me how the guitar can actually accept ball end OR loop end strings in another thread. Cool! I hope it does not sound out-of-balance with a unique top E string in there.

Here is some beautiful music that has this wonderful guitar sound I am hearing. Bireli Lagrene - Storyteller. https://www.amazon.com/Storyteller-feat ... B07HZ6CNBH

His acoustic guitar has that wonderful tone of the Gypsy style, but with long sustained notes. Listen especially to the contemporary jazz version of Stella by Starlight. That is the sound! Wonderful record.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:17 am

Don't forget that the recorded guitar sound will undoubtedly have compression and reverb added, both increasing the level of sustain.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby DC-Choppah » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:42 am

Replaced the top two strings with .013" and .017". Getting good sounds with the right kind of sustain. It did not sound right with just the E string replaced - the B string sounded whimpy.

Here is me doing a little Larry Carlton melody that this sound reminds me of.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WLNhA ... LXNxzke39j
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:21 am

:thumbup:
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:22 pm

Bireli usea several different guitars, the one on that Stella recording does sound like a Selmer/Macaferri type but on this youtube he is playing an electric arch top. It doesn't't sound like the CD version though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gjUANhT6l4
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:47 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Bireli usea several different guitars, the one on that Stella recording does sound like a Selmer/Macaferri type but on this youtube he is playing an electric arch top. It doesn't't sound like the CD version though...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gjUANhT6l4

Cool. That version of Stella was about 20 years ago. The Storyteller record was just released. He's probably played Stella like a million times between.

The reverb sounds on the Storyteller record are so lush. Man, what is that all about!
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Previous