You are here

Reactive amp load with variable attenuation

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Reactive amp load with variable attenuation

Postby Hewesy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:00 pm

Just to add my own 2p, I've used a Marshall SE100 (actually a Groove Tubes unit built by GT for Marshall) with my 30w Laney and originally kept the HH Invader speaker which iirc was 75w.

As above, attenuating the volume only didn't bring the amp alive as I'd hoped, as the speaker just wasn't being pushed to move any air.

I then swapped the HH for a Celestion greenback 25w and there was the tone. I was still able to play at a good level though which helped, not super quiet.

One caveat, I only play at home so swapping the speaker for me was fine. If you gig the amp you might want to consider a 2nd cab for home use, with the attenuator and lower rated speaker.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:33 pm

The Greenback is one of the most respected of guitar speakers. Not sure about the HH Invader but I think they were made by Fane? Not a name that inspires much joy in guitar player circles? So I am not surprised you "found your sound!"

Though rated at 25W Greenbacks are tough buggers and even more conservatively rated that most Celestions.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hewesy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:31 pm

Not sure Dave but Laney bought HH years back hence their continued use in Laney products. Ceramic magnet I think, which also adds a certain edge to the tone.

It certainly has a well known and respected tone/eq curve so probably did help my cloth ears more than the HH!

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:46 pm

HH switched to making their own speakers years ago. I'm led to believe the older ones weren't great but the current ones seem OK, if not quite top-shelf.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ef37a » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:48 pm

Hewesy wrote:Not sure Dave but Laney bought HH years back hence their continued use in Laney products. Ceramic magnet I think, which also adds a certain edge to the tone.

It certainly has a well known and respected tone/eq curve so probably did help my cloth ears more than the HH!

Hewesy

Yes, well I have been told that guitar speaker industry is pretty incestuous! Unless it has a famous name on the magnet you really cannot know the maker.

Ceramic magnet? Isn't everything at this price point?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:55 pm

I dunno, the Fane's in my MM120 were killer. I'll never forgive myself for letting that one go
Watchmaker
Regular
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Wonks » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:00 pm

Gor the UK, a lot of the cones are all made in High Wycombe to the speaker manufacturer's requirements then get shipped off to be installed in the chassis.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby John Egan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:03 pm

Watchmaker wrote:I dunno, the Fane's in my MM120 were killer. I'll never forgive myself for letting that one go

I understand that some of the 60s and 70s Fanes are highly sought after. I've got a late 60s/early 70s Simms Watts head with a matching 4x12 cab with Fanes, which a number of my mates regularly ask if I want to sell. At present, I don't. It does sound OK, though.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:15 am

Back in the day ('60s, '70s) Fanes were a (relatively) budget option, EV, JBL and, especially, Celestion were the sought after speakers.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby John Egan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:54 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Back in the day ('60s, '70s) Fanes were a (relatively) budget option, EV, JBL and, especially, Celestion were the sought after speakers.

I don't think the "purple frame" 50 watt Fanes used in the vintage Hiwatt 4X12 cabs were ever thought of as budget options, Sam. They were differently voiced to the Celestion offerings, with more clean headroom. I remember being presented with a hired 100 watt Hiwatt stack for a charity concert I did in 1970 (ish) and it permanently rearranged most of my internal organs while I tried to get it to overdrive !
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:55 am

The curse of generalisation.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby mola1000 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:46 am

I don't think the "purple edge" 50 watt Fanes utilized in the vintage Hiwatt 4X12 taxis were ever thought of as spending alternatives, Sam. They were distinctively voiced to the Celestion contributions, with all the more spotless headroom. I was given a procured 100 watt Hiwatt stack for a philanthropy show I did in 1970 (ish) and it forever revamped the greater part of my interior organs while I endeavored to get it to overdrive !

Respects, John
mola1000

Previous