You are here

Some OPZ :)

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Some OPZ :)

Postby DavyP » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:02 pm

Been in hospital the past month so have got to know this little fella pretty well. Made this video whilst on a flying visit home. :thumbup:

https://youtu.be/OqjDOKlEIxk
DavyP
Regular

Re: Some OPZ :)

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:53 pm

That'd be a great OSC contender :clap: :clap: :clap:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:01 pm

Nice one Davy - very sorry to hear you've been in hospital for so long, I hope it's only a temporary inconvenience and you'll be able to get back to your music more soon :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:38 pm

Nice one indeed - I LIKE those sounds Davy 8-)

Hope you're out of hospital and home soon :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby MarkyC » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:39 pm

Those are very big sounds - blimey well done :clap:
MarkyC
Regular

Postby DavyP » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:27 am

Thanks all and thanks for the good wishes :thumbup:

The OPz can sound pretty good. Best part is the sequencer with all the parameter locks and the ability to choose the length of each individual track. There was quite a lot of layers in that song as I treated the polyphoney of the chord synth as mono synths to give more variety to the sound. I’ve got A good grasp of the OP-Z now as there’s not much to do here.

I’m looking forward to putting my own samples into it but even as standard it sounds pretty good considering it’s no bigger than a tv remote :D
DavyP
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:44 am

You certainly don't get much real estate for over a monkey but the sounds more than justify the price tag, can't wait for the iPad version ;)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby producerjulian » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:27 pm

Like! definitely some sick stuff. Do you also have the OP-1?
producerjulian
New here

Postby DavyP » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:00 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:You certainly don't get much real estate for over a monkey but the sounds more than justify the price tag, can't wait for the iPad version ;)

Teenage Engineering, nothing comes cheap with them :roll:

It is fun though and suprisingly powerful for its size. I'm going to try it out with the Electro Harmonix 95000 looper once i get the usb lead for midi to see how they play together and what I can come up with on the fly :thumbup:
DavyP
Regular

Postby DavyP » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:23 pm

https://youtu.be/wwJOcEWaWyM

Did a short video using the OPZ along with the Electr Harmonix 95000 looper

The loopers fun to use, I might add a second one for additional tracks :thumbup:
DavyP
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:31 pm

Ooh, that is rather nice :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby DavyP » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:14 pm

Thanks Eddy, I've got very fond of the little fella :thumbup:
DavyP
Regular

Postby DavyP » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:30 pm

https://youtu.be/iCEpx_xrCuU

Did a bit of overdubbing on the Electro Harmonix looper of my previous OPZ track and added some Deepmind 12. Adds a little bit extra to finish off the Track :thumbup:
DavyP
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:55 am

Ahh the Deepmind 12.

On the one hand, I really admire the work that the Midas team did on this. I have been slightly tempted once or twice myself. On the other hand, I really dislike having to menu dive on an analogue synth and although sonically it's rather good I've seen a few videos showing the amount of menu-navigation required to access certain features so I've resisted. That said, your jam including it is much to my taste Davy.

You seem to be very much into your 'set up a groove and go with it' thing, and there is of course absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. Some of your jams make me want more because they seem like really good intros to or breaks within a larger piece. I'd be interested to hear you develop some of your catchy loops into larger pieces that develop the themes you introduce, but I do get that it may be more your thing to jam away.

That last video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCEpx_xrCuU is one of your best yet in my humble opinon (though I still love that lovely bass groove you did ages ago equally as much!)

More power to your elbow ;-)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby DavyP » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:43 am

Thanks for the thoughtful comments Eddy

I get where you are coming from with regards to there being room to develope things. The vast majority of the stuff I upload is all done live in one take and with Analogue sequencers, no midi or computer, so you are kind of limited by what you can do so that mainly involves changes to modulation, loop length, a bit of transposing and sound tweaks.

The funny thing is the song you where referring to that I did a while back I made after someone made a similar comment about wanting to hear one of my jams expanded upon.

I’ve bought a Squarp Pyramid sequencer so once I get to spend a bit of time learning the workings of it I’ll make a point of taking the jams and structuring them into a song whilst still doing the tweaky live bit as that’s where all the fun is.

Thanks for taking time to listen and making such a detailed and constructive reply, I appreciate it. :)
DavyP
Regular

Postby Folderol » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:49 am

A thoroughly well rounded performance now. Very well done, and good on you for turning around bad new into a profit.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby DavyP » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:53 am

Folderol wrote:A thoroughly well rounded performance now. Very well done, and good on you for turning around bad new into a profit.

Thanks for that :thumbup:
DavyP
Regular

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:35 pm

DavyP wrote:I’ve bought a Squarp Pyramid sequencer so once I get to spend a bit of time learning the workings of it I’ll make a point of taking the jams and structuring them into a song whilst still doing the tweaky live bit as that’s where all the fun is.

I've had a Squarp Pyramid for a while, they are excellent. There is a bit of a learning curve with them and some aspects of their operation are a little counter-intuitive. For example when in step recording mode you need to first select the note, either using the physical controls or by pressing a key on a connected external keyboard then press the button on the Squarp that represents the step you want to assign the note to. This confused me a bit at first because I was expecting it to auto-advance to the next step as I played notes on the input keyboard.

However once you get into it the amount of stuff you can do with it is amazing - and they are fantastic for live jamming!

I printed out the manual for mine and mounted all the sheets in plastic sleeves clipped into a ring binder. I don't know about you, but I found it much easier to use it as reference than an electronic PDF.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:41 pm

Like that! :clap:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:09 pm

Yep, I'm enjoying this one too DavyP 8-)

It's gotta kinda techno hoedown feel - yeeha!

Martin
Martin Walker

Next