You are here

Mackie DL32R, Mix pre 10m - portable recording Question

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Mackie DL32R, Mix pre 10m - portable recording Question

Postby mrMRKelly » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:23 pm

Hi, i'm looking to do some live and multitrack band recording (my own band, rehearsals and perhaps recording other bands etc) , ideally would like at least 16 XLR inputs (but a minimum of 10 XLR inputs).

The Mackie DL32R and Mix-pre 10m (by sound devices) both look like good options, but before taking the plunge with either of them i just wanted to get some feedback, recommendations or advice on the devices I've listed or others that i should consider. I want the best quality recording i can get which i can later mix in logic X. Budget up to around £3000 i guess.

I know the Mix Pre has 8 inputs but reviews lead me to think that it sounds superb!

Thanks

Matt
mrMRKelly
Regular

Re: Mackie DL32R, Mix pre 10m - portable recording Question

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:45 pm

I take it from the recorders you've mentioned that this is solely for recording and that you don't need a dual-function live-sound mixer which is recording enabled?
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby mrMRKelly » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:45 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:I take it from the recorders you've mentioned that this is solely for recording and that you don't need a dual-function live-sound mixer which is recording enabled?

Hi Mike, yes it’s purely for the purpose of recording a full band, not for mixing live sound or being an engineer at gigs etc just need to be able to set recording levels and press record!
mrMRKelly
Regular

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:58 pm

The MixPres are very high standard, but you’re going to have problems with channel count.

Two obvious contenders spring to mind. The Zoom Livetrack L-20 and the QSC TouchMix 16, both of which give you 16 preamps and can provide standalone recording of up to 16 channels.

There’s other digital desk options too or the Tascam model 24 if you want a more analogue feel.

The question to ask is how you want to integrate this into you current system. If recording other bands, you may not always have the choice of using your own mixer, so may need a set of splitters too.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:32 pm

I agree with those recommendations from Bob.

I'd also check-out the Allen&Heath Qu-PAC.

The big issue you'll face is that most of the things that can do this are mixers with a recording facility. Thus, you could easily end up paying for a big box with loads of facilities you don't need.

The three models Bob and I have suggested are reasonable compromises I think.

Over at 'the other place' there's a thread on linking via timecode two Zoom F8s. Someone's done it successfully. That seems a promising line to explore. And the Zoom F8 is by no means a poor-relation audio-wise to the Mix-Pres. A little behind, yes, but for live multitrack you'd be very very hard-pressed to notice the difference.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:57 pm

As an alternative, for the kind of money you are talking about you could afford one of the Joeco range

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/jo ... n-recorder

or maybe one of the RME interfaces that supports stand-alone recording.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page