You are here

Yamaha Pacifica questions

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Yamaha Pacifica questions

Postby gingertimmins » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:50 pm

Hi guys, I know that there will be more specific forums for this but I know at least one person here is a fan of the Pacifica (Sam spoons, is that you?)

Anyway, just picked one up with a practice amp for £30 with the sole intention of nursing it back to health and flipping it back out.
Trouble is I have no idea which model it is. Is there any way to find out? I’ve not had it in pieces yet but am I likely to find a serial number or model number? It’s an almost turquoise metallic blue colour if that helps?

Next question is the wiring. It’s my belief that they have a push pull for coil tapping the bridge humbucker? Can anyone confirm this?
Mine doesn’t have a push pull so I’d be looking to reinstate it if it is standard on my particular model. can anyone point me in the direction of a good and easy to read wiring diagram?

Thanks in advance!

Chris
gingertimmins
Regular

Re: Yamaha Pacifica questions

Postby Wonks » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:04 pm

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/music ... oduct-tabs

Specs of the current Pacificas tabled on that web page. The very basic spec ones have no pull coil tap.

If the guitar doesn't already tap a coil when in the bridge + mid position, then it's easy to add a coil tap as long as its a 4-wire pickup. Two wires should be soldered and taped to each other, but not connected to anything else. You need a switch to connect those two wires to ground for a coil tap.

If it's just a signal + braid lead from the pickup, then it can't be tapped (without taking the pickup to bits and fitting a 4-wire cable).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby gingertimmins » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:18 pm

Wonks wrote:https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/guitars_basses/el_guitars/pacifica/specs.html#product-tabs

Specs of the current Pacificas tabled on that web page. The very basic spec ones have no pull coil tap.

If the guitar doesn't already tap a coil when in the bridge + mid position, then it's easy to add a coil tap as long as its a 4-wire pickup. Two wires should be soldered and taped to each other, but not connected to anything else. You need a switch to connect those two wires to ground for a coil tap.

If it's just a signal + braid lead from the pickup, then it can't be tapped (without taking the pickup to bits and fitting a 4-wire cable).

Thanks wonks. I’ll get the thing in bits when I get a chance and report back with my findings!
gingertimmins
Regular

Postby Wonks » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:13 am

Earlier models had the model number on the headstock face, but they stopped doing that some time ago.

Post photos if you're unsure.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:37 am

I do like Pacifica's, my son has one, they are excellent value and a safe buy but I'm not an expert. One of our number has several, including a few 'frankencificas' but I can't remember which of our illustrious colleagues that was.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby gingertimmins » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:07 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:I do like Pacifica's, my son has one, they are excellent value and a safe buy but I'm not an expert. One of our number has several, including a few 'frankencificas' but I can't remember which of our illustrious colleagues that was.
Perhaps you mentioned a Pacifica once and I’ve deduced from that that you have 50 of them! :D
You’re a variax fan though, aren’t you?
I’m not that regular here but sometimes associate names with guitars. When I think of wonks I always recall an arch top acoustic that he painted at home in a red to black burst.
gingertimmins
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:11 pm

Isn't it Dr Huge Longjohns who's the pacifica fan?
I'm a variax fan but I've only got one. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:24 pm

I think it is the good doctor. I don't have a variax, wood, wire and fingers for me.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby gingertimmins » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:12 pm

Yes, it is indeed mr longjohns who is the Pacifica fan!

So I’ve got the guitar in bits. It’s the 112, thankfully. There’s another code- LPB - which I assume is lake placid blue.
Annoyingly the serial numbers are recycled every 10 years so mine is either a 1991 or 2001!
gingertimmins
Regular