You are here

Anti-yosemitism ?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Anti-yosemitism ?

Postby SecretSam » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:31 pm

I have an interesting partocaster that cost about fifty quid in a junk shop. Nice body and a good aftermarket neck. Electrically, it's very noisy.

If I have to gut it, shield it and put it all back together, then, and this is the good part, I could probably put some new pickups in it for good measure.

So, my virtual chums, two questions for you:

1. Are the cheaper fenders such as the Yosemite any good, or should I shell out for Bareknuckles, and

2. How can I tell what sort of pickups are already in there ?

Cheers
Sam
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Re: Anti-yosemitism ?

Postby Wonks » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:09 pm

Partscaster? Strat or Tele?

Really need to see the back of them. If they've got ceramic bar magnets stuck on the back, then they really are cheap pickups and almost any replacement set will sound better.

Sometimes it's impossible to tell what pickups they are if there's no manufacturer's name on them. The basic construction is going to be pretty much the same and it's hard to tell if they are machine-wound or hand-wound pickups, or what gauge wire was used with and with what insulating varnish on them.

If you can post a picture of the rear of the pickups, that would help.

I've never heard any Fender Yosemite pickups. Looking at the price, they seem considerably cheaper than their normal pickup sets, so I'd probably expect them to be akin to IronGear or Tonerider pickups - made in Asia to the designer's particular spec.

It depends on just how good and how much you want to spend. You can get a set of great sounding Tonerider or IronGear Strat pickups in the UK for £70-£80 and I'm sure that the Yosemites will be in the same tonal area. Fender use them in their cheapest USA Strats, the performer series and the demos sound fine to me.

It's always going to be hard to say just what a set of pickups is going to be like in a guitar. I've had one set of BK Strat pickups that sounded pretty 'meh' to me. I've had a set of BK Tele pickups in a Warmoth parts Tele that sounded really good. But then I've got some IronGear tele pickups in a Mexican Tele that also sound really good.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Anti-yosemitism ?

Postby SecretSam » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:34 pm

Thanks Wonks.

It's a stratopartocaster.

On reflection, unless you are Jack White, it might be sensible to set a rule that pickups should cost no more than three times what the guitar cost.

When I get the thing in bits I will post a pic.

Cheers
Sam
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.