You are here

BBC repair shop bass restoration

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: BBC repair shop bass restoration

Postby Johnston » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:37 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Yes it is and it's the way I would have liked to see the Jazz restored but choices were made and we've all questioned them. But, it's still an all original 1966 Fender Jazz bass with decent provenance and a slightly famous owner who's son seems pleased with the work. Any suggestion that the neck's structural integrity has been compromised is pure speculation but early fenders were usually solidly built so I'd be inclined to give the befit of the doubt.

Sure but the son doesn't know anything about bass guitars and doesn't play, as he said in the programme. He'd have been happy if the guy resprayed the body and put some seymour duncans on it and told him that's what you do with an old bass. HIs opinion is irrelevant. ;)

And yes, suggesting the necks structural integrity is compromised is speculation. Speculation based on the fact you could see it was already bending under tension when delivered and the knowledge that Jazz bass necks are, and always have been very slim.

Of course we could give him the benefit of the doubt, but for what reason? Ultimately dude was filmed on television doing something to a vintage bass that absolutely no serious restorer of musical instruments would do, and if you put yourself in that position you deserve to have your work criticised.

anyway, I've worked myself up enough about this...onwards! upwards!
Johnston
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:34 pm

Fair enough. :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Agharta » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:17 pm

BigRedX wrote:I don't see what the fuss is all about.
It's old, but it's by no means unique. It's just a mass-produced instrument previously used by the bassist in a minor 70s pop band.
I don't recall anything about their bassist but they were hardly a minor league pop band based on record sales as 29 top 40 hits and two number one albums confirms:
https://www.officialcharts.com/artist/1 ... chocolate/

I heard one of their AFAIK less famous songs on BBC 6M recently and the DJs were saying that they were a more interesting band than their big hits suggested and it did make me think of checking them out.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous