You are here

Best pick-ups to get Fender tones from my Pacifica 112J

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Best pick-ups to get Fender tones from my Pacifica 112J

Postby Davy Curry » Fri May 17, 2019 12:31 am

My Pacifica has never let me down in 20yrs despite all manner of abuse. But the old gal' needs more tone. I didn't realise how crap the sound of the Pacifica through Line 6 amps was until I got a Les Paul Standard and an all valve Blackstar HT - 5R amp. I love the comfort and play-ability of my Yamaha but she needs help. Any ideas?
Davy Curry

Re: Best pick-ups to get Fender tones from my Pacifica 112J

Postby Pat » Fri May 17, 2019 6:24 pm

I bought some pickups from catswhisker pickups for my superstrat (lots of sentimental value).

http://www.catswhiskerpickups.co.uk/

I got the sbucker for the bridge and the strat type pup for middle and the fender wide range for the neck. S bucker sounds very stratty split, but im not too sure about the humbucker tones so inwoukd give the wide range some thought for the bridger, strat in the middle plus he makes a p90 inspired single for the neck
Pat
New here

Postby John Egan » Fri May 17, 2019 9:37 pm

Davy Curry wrote:My Pacifica has never let me down in 20yrs despite all manner of abuse. But the old gal' needs more tone. I didn't realise how crap the sound of the Pacifica through Line 6 amps was until I got a Les Paul Standard and an all valve Blackstar HT - 5R amp. I love the comfort and play-ability of my Yamaha but she needs help. Any ideas?

Bareknuckle Pickups make some of the best sounding strat pickups. I have a set of Apaches and a set of Irish Tours - both pretty traditional sounding - but they make wide range to suit most tastes.
Regards john Egan
John Egan
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Sat May 18, 2019 8:19 am

I was going to recommend Bare Knuckles but I wasn't sure given the price vs the cost of the guitar, but if you really do love the instrument..........

I fitted my US Standard Strat (SSS) with a Bare Knuckles HSS set. VHII in the bridge (with aged nickle cover) and, from memory, a pair of Irish Tours with base plates (BK recommendation when matching single coils with humbucker). Whilst there was nothing wrong with the stock pickups these have made a difference (although I'm conscious that there may be some confirmation bias at work).

What I did find was that getting the pickup height right made a huge difference to the sound - so worth experimenting with the existing pickups if you haven't already done so.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster