You are here

Cubase Post fader record

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Cubase Post fader record

Postby Moroccomoose » Fri May 17, 2019 11:09 pm

With the recent Cubase sale, I finally upgraded to Cubase 10 Pro.

I have a hardware amp modeller that I want to use, so I set up my channel in Cubase thus:

Guitar in
External plug in to amp modeller
reverb sends
Output to monitors.

When playing, it all works really well until I want to record another guitar part. I have to move the audio to another channel so can us the external plug in for the next part.

The problem is that as soon as I move the audio to a new track, it no longer the external plug fx. Obviously, only the guitar signal is recorded, not the processed one.

In order to keep the work flow described above, I want to record the track OUTPUT, rather than the input. i.e. I want to record the processed sound, not the unprocessed input. Is this possible? It certainly is in reaper. I have been through the help files etc even done forum search on here, but can't find a mention.

The alternative is to go back to my old work flow in Artist of doing a send to the amp modeller and recording that on a separate track. I was hoping to avoid this and keep my track count down and work flow as clean as possible,

Cheers for your help!
Moroccomoose
Regular

Re: Cubase Post fader record

Postby Mixedup » Sat May 18, 2019 7:24 am

If you want to record any plugin (external or otherwise) there are various options but the easiest is to put that plugin on an input channel. Select that channel as the input source for the track(s) you wish to record to.
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby Moroccomoose » Tue May 21, 2019 10:23 am

Ah okay, that makes sense, I will try that out tonight.

Thanks

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Moroccomoose » Wed May 22, 2019 8:42 am

So, I tried inserts on the inputs last night….. and had a revelation! This is brilliant. I presume you can only do this in Pro? I thought I was reasonably savvy when it comes to routing options. But I had never considered this as a possibility.

Putting the fx on the Guitar input channel works perfectly for me, it means I can print the guitar sound and not the just the DI :thumbup:

Next is to see if I can simultaneously feed out and record the DI.

Cheers for the shove in the right direction!

Stu.
Moroccomoose
Regular

Postby Mixedup » Wed May 22, 2019 10:16 am

No worries. I can't recall if it's a Pro only thing or not — I'm not so familiar with the other versions.

One thing worth noting is that in the Studio/Audio Connections window, you can create multiple input busses and assign the same physical audio-interface input to multiple input busses.

So you could, for instance, have your guitar or bass DI'd to the interface, andf have multiple input channels in Cubase receiving that signal and processing them differently. Eg one with a clean DI feed, one with an amp sim. Or two different amp sims. Etc.

And you can then record each input to different audio tracks simultaneously and choose between them or blend between, or pan them etc them when mixing...
Mixedup
Jedi Poster