You are here

Line-Audio CM3 is no more...

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Line-Audio CM3 is no more...

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:05 am

So not great at understanding the graphs but the flat graph suggests to me the CM4 will pick up more bottom end including low rumbles if one is not in a well insulated studio, than the CM3?

I’m trying to understand the circular graphs, the degrees and db’s. 180 would be the back of the mic? Zero the front? Why is one graph showing -20 and the other zero db? Shouldn’t both graphs show either zero or -20 for the same frequencies in order to compare them? Is one of the circular graphs upside down to the other? (Mic front on the bottom in one, mic front on the top in the other?)
Sorry, these things don’t seem to work with my brain.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Wonks » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:05 am

One polar plot is inverted with respect to the other. No idea why, but it is.

And the CM4, being more cardioid-like, does have a higher degree of proximity boost at low frequencies compared to the CM3, though the actual difference is about 3dB at 20Hz at 30cm, and almost nothing at 30 Hz. And at 1m, the bass drop-off is about 2dB less by 20Hz.

Also don't forget that these responses are almost certainly slightly idealised by 1/3 octave smoothing, so individual mics will have more dips and peaks showing on a non-smoothed graph.

The low-end frequency response is very similar to other SDCs, e.g. a Röde NT5, so rumble pickup will be par for the course. Easy enough to HPF the recording afterwards - and this gives more creative freedom than having a fixed HPF switch on the mic itself. Even live, unless you are using a basic small desk with no HPF available, it shouldn't really be an issue - at least no more than any other SDC.

And the more cardioid-like pattern means that the CM4 can be positioned to reject more unwanted sound than the CM3 could.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:47 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:To be exact the link isn't broken but the site's security isn't completely set up for HTTPS. You get the following message from Firefox:

Your connection is not secure

The owner of sound-link.co.uk has configured their web site improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this web site.

It will let you through if you insist. John, if you change the link to HTTP then you won't get this problem. OTOH it will be an insecure link and searches in Google will show it as such which is not so helpful.

CC

Firefox; PC; Current Win10:

Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:12 am

Edited to add: Oops -- just seen that Wonks has said exactly the same ahead of me!

ManFromGlass wrote:...the flat graph suggests to me the CM4 will pick up more bottom end including low rumbles if one is not in a well insulated studio, than the CM3?

What it's showing is that two mics have a very similar response for sources at 1m distance, but the new CM4 has more proximity effect -- hence the raised low-end response for sources at 0.3m. This is entirely to be expected and tallies with its more directional polar-pattern -- the greater proportion of pressure-gradient (velocity) operation, the more the pattern tends towards fig-8 and the stronger the proximity effect.

180 would be the back of the mic? Zero the front?

Correct.

Why is one graph showing -20 and the other zero db? Shouldn’t both graphs show either zero or -20 for the same frequencies in order to compare them? Is one of the circular graphs upside down to the other? (Mic front on the bottom in one, mic front on the top in the other?)

Yes, the CM3 polar plot is shown upside down with the business end of the mic (0 degrees) facing downwards. Here are the same charts, but with the CM3 polar plot the right way up for easier comparison:

CM3_4.png
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:19 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Firefox; PC; Current Win10:

Mind you, this is using HTTP, using HTTPS still gives me the security warning. I'll leave this now for John to puzzle over.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:39 am

I've had the message you've been getting several times before CC and reported it to John. Seems like all is not yet quite as it should be...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:31 pm

Thanks, Hugh and Wonks for the gift of knowledge.
I have a pair of CM3’s (bought mostly because of an SOS review) and in the right scenario they are super, and fantastic value.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby John Willett » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:09 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:Your 'Sound Link' Hyperlink in your sig is broken, John...

Thanks Mike - fixed now.

I changed from an https: back to an http: as the costs of having an https: is horrendous and I don't have an online shop so didn't really need it.

And thanks to CC for posting the free advert showing that many Gefell mics are on Special Offer until the end of September. ;)
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Aural Reject » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:15 pm

Hmm....three OM1s or three M221s...wonder which the bank manager would prefer? :angel:
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:58 pm

As we're now have a chat about the Line-Audio mics in general...

... the hypocardioids (and new 'wider' cardioids) do sound 'different' from many a mic that's available because they don't have the almost de riguer presence peak that other mics at this price-point have. In fact, PinkNoise told me that someone had sent back a pair of CM3s for a refund as they were 'lifeless'.

If you've got used to the typical SDC presence peak of shallow-end mics you may need to recalibrate your ears! :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Aural Reject » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:11 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:As we're now have a chat about the Line-Audio mics in general...

... the hypocardioids (and new 'wider' cardioids) do sound 'different' from many a mic that's available because they don't have the almost de riguer presence peak that other mics at this price-point have. In fact, PinkNoise told me that someone had sent back a pair of CM3s for a refund as they were 'lifeless'.

If you've got used to the typical SDC presence peak of shallow-end mics you may need to recalibrate your ears! :)

Quite useful in a some ways if (don't read this John W...) you're multimicing and adding lots of them together....
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:28 pm

John Willett wrote:And thanks to CC for posting the free advert showing that many Gefell mics are on Special Offer until the end of September. ;)

You're very welcome :)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Mike Stranks » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:36 pm

Aural Reject wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:As we're now have a chat about the Line-Audio mics in general...

Quite useful in a some ways if (don't read this John W...) you're multimicing and adding lots of them together....

Quite agree! I regard them as neutral with the ability not to make their presence felt...(see what I did there?)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby John Willett » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:57 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:
Aural Reject wrote:

Quite agree! I regard them as neutral with the ability not to make their presence felt...(see what I did there?)

The Line Audio mics I always recommend if someone needs good quality mics with a very low budget as they punch well above their weight.

Yes, the top end omnis are well worth the price you pay for them - but if you don't have a top end budget the Line Audio would come first on my list of quality at a very affordable price.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby cyrano.mac » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:21 am

John Willett wrote:I changed from an https: back to an http: as the costs of having an https: is horrendous and I don't have an online shop so didn't really need it.

Either your provider is a rather expensive one or you've been misinformed. Getting the necessary certificates is free. See:

https://letsencrypt.org/

And the rest of the configuration change should be handled in a jiffy by any reasonably competent tech.
cyrano.mac
Regular

PreviousNext