You are here

Diapason Dynamis Floorstanding Loudspeakers

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Diapason Dynamis Floorstanding Loudspeakers

Postby Kevin Nolan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:26 am

Will understand if the moderator locks this post as it's a query on some ultra high end HiFi speakers, but here goes:

A friend of mine on Facebook posted an image of a very high end Hi Fi setup - including a pair of Diapason Dynamis Floorstanding Loudspeakers.

I Googled them and saw they cost $31,000.

A complete shock. When you consider the price of even, say, K&H O300D's, these are extraordinarily expensive.

I realise these are not a studio monitor - but - for that money I'd expect them to be absolutely perfect in every way, and far superior to the likes of the O300's or any other monitoring pair costing even $10,000 or more - but find that hard to imagine.

So I'm very curious to hear the thoughts of any speaker experts - are these pure rich-kid bling; or is there a legitimate reason why they cost $31,000?

Thanks,
Kevin.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Re: Diapason Dynamis Floorstanding Loudspeakers

Postby MOF » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:28 am

My understanding of what constitutes a monitor speaker is its wide and level frequency response and an ability to handle a wide dynamic range.
A lot of domestic hi-fi speakers wouldn’t survive soloing an uncompressed bass guitar, drums etc if you were listening at volume to a compressed mix.
At £31k I would expect these speakers to be capable of fulfilling both roles.
My first speakers were AR18 bookshelf speakers but I was always careful with levels and my Teac 2A mixer was so basic it didn’t have a solo button.
I went onto Tannoy hi-fi type speakers next and likewise was careful with levels. I’ve yet to blow a speaker but I’m not likely to as I don’t like very loud listening sessions.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby hobbyist » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:41 am

Kevin Nolan wrote:Will understand if the moderator locks this post as it's a query on some ultra high end HiFi speakers, but here goes:

A friend of mine on Facebook posted an image of a very high end Hi Fi setup - including a pair of Diapason Dynamis Floorstanding Loudspeakers.

A complete shock. When you consider the price of even, say, K&H O300D's, these are extraordinarily expensive.

I realise these are not a studio monitor - but - for that money I'd expect them to be absolutely perfect in every way, and far superior to the likes of the O300's or any other monitoring pair costing even $10,000 or more - but find that hard to imagine.

So I'm very curious to hear the thoughts of any speaker experts - are these pure rich-kid bling; or is there a legitimate reason why they cost $31,000?

Thanks,
Kevin.

Google for Veblen goods.
hobbyist
Regular

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:56 am

hobbyist wrote:Google for Veblen goods.

Interesting call.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:06 am

Kevin Nolan wrote:So I'm very curious to hear the thoughts of any speaker experts - are these pure rich-kid bling; or is there a legitimate reason why they cost $31,000?

I suspect largely rich-kid bling. I'm sure they have high quality cabinetry and drivers, and careful design... but that's a lot of money for a passive three-way. I'd want a stack of Brystons thrown in for that kind of dosh! :-)

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Phil Ward » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:22 pm

Only $31k

The world of high-end hi-fi extends way further into the clouds than that. For example, for just $229k you can have a pair of these: https://magico.net/product/ultimate.php

P

PS. I don't have a lot of time for flights of fancy such as the Magico Ultimate, but some of their more modest speakers, although still eye-warteringly expensive, are actually pretty special.
Phil Ward
Regular
Freelance audio product designer/writer: https://musicandmiscellany.com Hi-Fi Prints: https://audio-icons.com

Postby desmond » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:29 pm

!! :blush: :o :headbang:

desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Phil Ward » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:36 pm

desmond wrote:!! :blush: :o :headbang:

I love that the designer (presumably) guy in the picture is trapped in the roped-off area. Wonder if it's for his or others' safety. And where's the, "Please Do Not feed the Speaker Designer" sign?

P
Phil Ward
Regular
Freelance audio product designer/writer: https://musicandmiscellany.com Hi-Fi Prints: https://audio-icons.com

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:38 pm

I really like the way they look ... but not enough for that kind of money :D
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby John Willett » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:04 pm

Kevin Nolan wrote:Will understand if the moderator locks this post as it's a query on some ultra high end HiFi speakers, but here goes:

Thanks,
Kevin.

They are actually £ 31,000.00 in the UK - see here

Passives at that price :shock:

They "look" good, but the bass unit is well away from the mid and tweeter, so I would think that imaging would be compromised.

But you have to listen.

I did have a friend who had a pair of extremely expensive "Symphony" loudspeakers who then swapped them for a pair of the ME-Geithain RL901K monitors - as has been said, home loudspeakers are made for music to sound "nioce" whereas monitors are designed to be accurate and to show up defiviencies - although the best home loudspeakers can sometimes also be good monitors, hence the Quad electrostatics and B&W 801 being used in many studios.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:10 pm

Mrs R is extraordinarily tolerant of my technology boxes all over the house, but I think even she would baulk at those monstrosities! :shock:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:26 pm

That's actually £31000 each so with 5% off for a first order that's a saving of £3100! Not so expensive after all ...

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:51 pm

That'll get you half way to affording the (first) Bryston SST3 4B to power the things then :-)

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:35 am

Bling or not, I'm lusting after a pair of the JBL L100 Century reissues.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Kevin Nolan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:13 pm

Arpangel wrote:Bling or not, I'm lusting after a pair of the JBL L100 Century reissues.

I still use a pair of JBL 4412's - and - I _absolutely_ adore them. That's not an understatement. I feel _very_ ordinary in all things audio and music - but - the one thing I can claim - and I don't even know why (other than probably through lots of usage) is - I know them. I really do. I, somehow, know the sound of my 4412s.

It doesn't matter how more modern or better other monitoring speakers are - I also have a pair of Genelec 1030A's, a pair of Dynaudio Acoustics BM6's and a pair of K&H O300's - all amazing and love them all too - but there's something 'special' about the 4412's - to me. I can't pinpoint it - but I mix well on them - and trust the sound - but equally love listening to music on them too. A very, very special speaker.
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster

Next