You are here

Diapason Dynamis Floorstanding Loudspeakers

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Re: Diapason Dynamis Floorstanding Loudspeakers

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:52 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:A friend went into a number of different top London studios with a recorder and a good mic, when we played them back they all sounded radically different...

I remember Mike doing that and we discussed it at the time. It was a very flawed and entirely pointless experiment...

H

But they did sound different!
A lot of what Mike and myself did was totally pointless, he'd be the first to admit, but it was fun!
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:04 pm

Arpangel wrote:But they did sound different!

Yes, they did. But that wasn't surprising. Different sized and different shaped control rooms with different speakers in different places, different numbers and placement of other listeners in the room and, although the binaural mic array stayed reasonably consistent, the mic was always in different places...

I realise what Mike was trying to do, and it was an interesting idea, but even if the mic had always been placed in the ideal engineer's listening position, and the speakers aligned for a perfectly flat response at that position, every room would still have sounded different on the recordings because they were different!

A lot of what Mike and myself did was totally pointless, he'd be the first to admit, but it was fun!

Absolutely! They don't make them like that any more. I always enjoyed talking with him and seeing and hearing his creations -- both electronic and acoustic.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:52 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:But they did sound different!

Yes, they did. But that wasn't surprising. Different sized and different shaped control rooms with different speakers in different places, different numbers and placement of other listeners in the room and, although the binaural mic array stayed reasonably consistent, the mic was always in different places...

I realise what Mike was trying to do, and it was an interesting idea, but even if the mic had always been placed in the ideal engineer's listening position, and the speakers aligned for a perfectly flat response at that position, every room would still have sounded different on the recordings because they were different!

Absolutely! They don't make them like that any more. I always enjoyed talking with him and seeing and hearing his creations -- both electronic and acoustic.

Ha Ha! Yes, I miss him, as you say, they don't make them like that anymore.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Previous