You are here

What is this noise?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

What is this noise?

Postby Hexo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:37 pm

Hello everybody,

There are some kinds of crackle like distortions in some of my records. like this one:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dMIpxrMzhdJT5TjS4oTw6tTF5RqCoZso/view?usp=sharing
I can't tell if they're acoustically in the source or are being generated somewhere in my circuit. Although some noises are apparently in her voice but there are other things too!

What do you think?
Hexo
Regular
There are a million keys to perfection and they are buried in different graves.

Re: What is this noise?

Postby BJG145 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:30 pm

It's difficult to tell isn't it...eg this very short fragment has two subtle clicks in it and I'm not sure if those correspond to the humps or not, as there's also a couple of ululations. There aren't any obvious glitch/spikes I could see, though the waveform isn't all perfectly rounded; if you zoom in closely it looks a bit dented. (?)

At first I thought they sounded electrical...then I thought they were mouth noises...but it's in the middle of a vowel...?

I dunno, though I suspect it's a recording issue.

(You might be able to clean it up quite effectively with the right plugins.)
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby James Perrett » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:54 am

I had a quick look on Adobe Audition's spectral view and they look very much like missing samples to me. This could either be down to the analogue to digital convertor and computer word clocks not being synchronised properly or it could be down to the computer not quite keeping up with the data coming in.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:03 am

James Perrett wrote:I had a quick look on Adobe Audition's spectral view and they look very much like missing samples to me. This could either be down to the analogue to digital convertor and computer word clocks not being synchronised properly or it could be down to the computer not quite keeping up with the data coming in.

Sometimes even using a poor quality digital cable to connect digital audio clocks and the like can result in occasional ticks, clicks and missing samples.

However, wordclock connections tend to be better than coaxial S/PDIF in this respect.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Hexo » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:31 pm

BJG145 wrote:It's difficult to tell isn't it...eg this very short fragment has two subtle clicks in it and I'm not sure if those correspond to the humps or not, as there's also a couple of ululations. There aren't any obvious glitch/spikes I could see, though the waveform isn't all perfectly rounded; if you zoom in closely it looks a bit dented. (?)

At first I thought they sounded electrical...then I thought they were mouth noises...but it's in the middle of a vowel...?

I dunno, though I suspect it's a recording issue.

(You might be able to clean it up quite effectively with the right plugins.)

Thanks for your deep investigations, I can imagine automating a lowpass filter on click moments, but looks like you have other plug-in tricks in mind. What do you suggest?
Hexo
Regular

Postby Hexo » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:36 pm

James Perrett wrote:I had a quick look on Adobe Audition's spectral view and they look very much like missing samples to me. This could either be down to the analogue to digital convertor and computer word clocks not being synchronised properly or it could be down to the computer not quite keeping up with the data coming in.

Martin Walker wrote:

Sometimes even using a poor quality digital cable to connect digital audio clocks and the like can result in occasional ticks, clicks and missing samples.

However, wordclock connections tend to be better than coaxial S/PDIF in this respect.

Martin

Great thoughts, It sounds like jitter to my ears too. My whole A/D D/A and clock package is in a Lynx Aurora8 unit, connected to a mac with a usb cable and a usb card before that. I'll take all my chances testing alternative parts which is just the usb cable now :D
Thanks in advance.
Hexo
Regular