You are here

Mastering level question

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Mastering level question

Postby Bob Bickerton » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:32 pm

Worth listening to the Daniel Barenboim Reith lectures. It's been while since I've listened to them, but I'm pretty sure he would say the dynamic range of an orchestra, or any classical music - or for that matter - any music, is the difference between silence and the loudest part.

He posit's that silence is very much part of the piece (realistically the noise floor of the auditorium). So in terms of playback, the dynamic range is actually the difference between the noise floor of your system and the highest level at which you listen to any particular piece of music - food for thought?

There are some folk around here would delight in the dynamic range of John Cage's 4'33" ;)

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:44 pm

Bob Bickerton wrote:There are some folk around here would delight in the dynamic range of John Cage's 4'33" ;)

Perhaps not if played at volume in the manner in which it was intended - the incidental audience noises were supposed to be part of the work, as I understood it!
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Bob Bickerton » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:09 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Bob Bickerton wrote:There are some folk around here would delight in the dynamic range of John Cage's 4'33" ;)

Perhaps not if played at volume in the manner in which it was intended - the incidental audience noises were supposed to be part of the work, as I understood it!

That's quite right, the dynamic range would, in fact, be quite variable dependent on the audience and isolation of the auditorium to external noise, such as traffic. In effect the audience become the performers - my speciality under such circumstances would be fortissimo flatulenza.........

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Mike Stranks » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:49 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:

That's quite right, the dynamic range would, in fact, be quite variable dependent on the audience and isolation of the auditorium to external noise, such as traffic. In effect the audience become the performers - my speciality under such circumstances would be fortissimo flatulenza.........

Bob

:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:55 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:my speciality under such circumstances would be fortissimo flatulenza

A special kind of trumpet! :bouncy:
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Kwackman » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:58 am

Bob Bickerton wrote:my speciality under such circumstances would be fortissimo flatulenza.........

This is still probably more socially acceptable these days than somebody's mobile phone ringing during the "performance"!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Previous