You are here

How to play records through microphone line

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

How to play records through microphone line

Postby Talibowy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:04 pm

Hey guys I need your help and i hope maybe here i'll get my answet. :) I'm looking for a programme that allow to play records (that i make) through microphone line.

I work as a pollster at home, on my private computer (with Windows 10). And as it happens on this job, people quite rarely agree for an interview so most of the time i repeat the same introduction and this kills my throat. So I would like to record some of the lines I say and play it. But I can't use any binds, because the programme that I use to do interviews doesn't allow me to basically do anything. So I need a programme that could play the records through microphone line, so my programme would think that I am saying it and allow it to play to my interviews.

I have tried to use a programme called Resanance, but I had one big problem with it. I could only play records or only speak with my interviews. I can't do both at the same time, and I don't know why. Maybe it's my fault, but I think I've tried every possible combinations with my settings and it didn't work. So maybe you guys could help me find the right programme? It can be paid.

If you need more details please tell me.
Talibowy
New here

Re: How to play records through microphone line

Postby CS70 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:27 pm

There's a few ways to do this. The crude option is simply to try connecting the PC's headphone out to the PC's line in with a short male-male cable (possibly with a Y splitter cable, male to female Y, so you can still monitor on headphones). You control the level by using the headphone volume control, you will need to fiddle it in order to find out the right level.

In software, WASAPI supports audio loopback but not many applications seem to bother presenting it to the user. I think Audacity does it.

And there's a virtual cable donationware at https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm - Warning: I have never tried it so no idea if it works or it's bogus, so proceed with caution.

There's also other ways but more complex, so you might want to check these first.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby MOF » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:44 pm

You need a 60dB pad in line with your line level feed to bring it down to mic’ level.
MOF
Regular

Postby Stratman57 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:54 pm

Do you mean that you are using a computer program to make the phone calls to potential interviewees and you want to be able to have a prerecorded introduction to play when they answer the phone?

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby Talibowy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:17 am

Stratman57 wrote:Do you mean that you are using a computer program to make the phone calls to potential interviewees and you want to be able to have a prerecorded introduction to play when they answer the phone?

Regards, Simon.
Yes. And then i want to be able to speak with them without ending the call or changing options, so both my record and my mic on the same time have to be turn on.

CS70 wrote:(...) In software, WASAPI supports audio loopback but not many applications seem to bother presenting it to the user. I think Audacity does it.

And there's a virtual cable donationware at https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm" target="phpbbpopup - Warning: I have never tried it so no idea if it works or it's bogus, so proceed with caution.

There's also other ways but more complex, so you might want to check these first.
I am using Audacity to record my introduction and such and then i save the file as mp3. But i don't how to play it through my mic line. And about vb cable - i am using it and it's working on teamspeak and in games. But it did not working in this programe i use (called Cadas Softphone). I don't know why, maybe it's my fault but i think i have tried every possible option. Maybe it's becouse of the simplicity of the softphone?
Talibowy
New here

Postby CS70 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:52 am

A question - what microphone are you using? I mean, do you have a handheld microphone connected to the pc's mic in? Or it's a USB headset? Or a built-in microphone in say a laptop?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Stratman57 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:14 am

I think this might be the answer to your problem.

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/

I've used it to provide onscreen faders on a touch screen PC between a theatre cue application and output via an audio interface.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby Talibowy » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:16 pm

CS70 wrote:A question - what microphone are you using? I mean, do you have a handheld microphone connected to the pc's mic in? Or it's a USB headset? Or a built-in microphone in say a laptop?
Zalman zm1-mic

Stratman57 wrote:I think this might be the answer to your problem.

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/

I've used it to provide onscreen faders on a touch screen PC between a theatre cue application and output via an audio interface.

Regards, Simon.
I am using vb cable but it didn't work for me. I don;t know why. Maybe it's my fault but i think i tried every possible option and I couldn't play my record in this programe.
Talibowy
New here

Postby Stratman57 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:04 pm

Ah, VB Cable is from the same people who do VoiceMeeter.

Voicemeeter is a virtual mixing desk, as opposed to a virtual cable, this means you can input your intro recording in Audacity into one channel and then your microphone signal into another channel. Then you should be able to set the input of you VoIP application to the output of VoiceMeeter. In the same way you'd use an external hardware mixer.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby Talibowy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:40 pm

Any other ideas, guys?
Talibowy
New here

Postby Stratman57 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:13 am

Have you tried VoiceMeeter? It's free, so you've got nothing to lose.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular