You are here

Woodies G Band Two String Partial Capo

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Woodies G Band Two String Partial Capo

Postby Jathon Delsy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:45 pm

Have any of m'learned friends an opinion on the Woodies G Band Two String Partial Capo - because I want something to capo the top two strings of my guitar at the first fret, creating a tuning of pure fourths.
Thanks,
Jathon,,,,
Jathon Delsy
Regular
https://www.youtube.com/user/jathondelsy

Re: Woodies G Band Two String Partial Capo

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:08 pm

For the price I'd probably just buy it :thumbup: I'm a huge fan of partial capo's but in this instance I would just retune the B and E to C and F.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Jathon Delsy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:32 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:For the price I'd probably just buy it :thumbup: I'm a huge fan of partial capo's but in this instance I would just retune the B and E to C and F.

Actually I retune the low four strings down a semitone to achieve a full fourths tuning, as I don't want to add any extra tension to the neck and strings by further tightening any strings, also this will make string bending difficult. But I want a quick solution for live work, so hence my interest in this partial capo. Are there any other partial capos that you or anyone else recommends?
Jathon Delsy
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:46 pm

Why would you use 4ths tuning if you don't want the intervals constant up and across the neck? The reason I use for partial capo's is the opposite, to allow open tuning flavours like 'drop D' and 'DADGAD' while still being able to play 'normal' chords/lines further up the neck.

I do see the attraction of 4ths tuning but it is all about chords and scales etc having the same shapes wherever on the neck you play them (which a partial capo won't achieve).

A semitone on the top strings will barely be noticeable when bending or WRT extra tension unless you already run fairly heavy gauge strings, I have 10s on my electrics and 11's or 12s on my acoustics (except the Rob Aylward Selmer style which seems to work best with 10s but is a 670mm/26.5" scale).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Jathon Delsy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:18 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Why would you use 4ths tuning if you don't want the intervals constant up and across the neck? The reason I use for partial capo's is the opposite, to allow open tuning flavours like 'drop D' and 'DADGAD' while still being able to play 'normal' chords/lines further up the neck.

I do see the attraction of 4ths tuning but it is all about chords and scales etc having the same shapes wherever on the neck you play them (which a partial capo won't achieve).

A semitone on the top strings will barely be noticeable when bending or WRT extra tension unless you already run fairly heavy gauge strings, I have 10s on my electrics and 11's or 12s on my acoustics (except the Rob Aylward Selmer style which seems to work best with 10s but is a 670mm/26.5" scale).

Yeah, I thought of that after posting my previous reply. Of course, with a partial capo the chord and scale shapes will still be the same as the original tuning. What a twat I am!
Jathon Delsy
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Jathon Delsy wrote:What a twat I am!

:D far from it, we've all had similar moments (well I have, several times).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby resistorman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:53 am

Actually, I like to buy capos and carve chunks out of them to change tunings. I’ve seen people with 2 or 3 modified capos on their guitars at once. You can practice on cheap ones :)
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:19 am

Yes, I've done that too, I have a 'DADGAD' modified Planet Waves mandolin capo with my X7 just 'cos it's black and matches the guitar (how sad is that :D )
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster