You are here

Logic Space Designer IR sample rates?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Logic Space Designer IR sample rates?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:20 am

Just found some Yamaha Rev 7 impulse responses on the web. When I create new SDIRs from them, the IR utility tells me they're 48k and 'The current audio device has changed its sample rate' etc. Is this something I need be concerned about? Don't understand the implications of this in an IR setting?

Cheers all
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Re: Logic Space Designer IR sample rates?

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:38 pm

No thoughts, chaps?
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby MOF » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:04 pm

I’m no expert in this field but I seem to remember reading an article in SOS that used editing the impulse responses prior to use to create longer/shorter reverbs. So in theory you would need to match the song setting to the impulse setting before saving the impulses.
MOF
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:22 pm

Hi Dr Huge,

I haven't used Logic Audio or its IR reverb, but strongly suspect that simply using a high quality sample rate converter to convert the 48kHz Impulse Responses to 44.1kHz will do the trick.

This should resolve the 'The current audio device has changed its sample rate' error message that you're getting, but more importantly it should adjust the IR reverb time to its original recorded length, with all the early reflections spaced correctly.

I just tried loading a 48kHz IR into Voxengo Pristine Space (which I still use because that's what I know well), and it didn't murmur when I applied this reverb to a 44.1kHz audio file, but the reverb time was wrong.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:00 am

Thanks Martin, this confirms my suspicions. Cheers
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)