You are here

Transfer from DAT to iMac

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Transfer from DAT to iMac

Postby Homburg » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:13 am

Hi, I am trying to transfer some audio from a DAT into the computer. I thought Garageband might do it, but not seeing any signal coming through in it.

The DAT device is connected using phono plugs to an old MOTU828 MKII which has a firewire output. From here it goes into the iMac's Thunderbolt port via a short adaptor wire. There is an output signal evident on the MOTU display and it's playing OK through speakers (also connected to MOTU).

Settings in Garageband are for input from the MOTU.

Has anyone any thoughts on how to get this to work, or any other methods or apps, please?

Just in case the Firewire-Thunderbolt set-up is a problem, are there any options for input via a USB port?

Thanks in advance!
Homburg

Re: Transfer from DAT to iMac

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:26 am

Homburg wrote:The DAT device is connected using phono plugs to an old MOTU828 MKII

RCA-Phono plugs can be used for both unbalanced analogue signals or digital S/PDIF signals. Which are you using?

There is an output signal evident on the MOTU display and it's playing OK through speakers (also connected to MOTU).

Ah... that's encouraging then... :-) So the issue is with the interface talking to the computer and/or the Garage Band input source selection.

Have you had this interface working into Garage Band with any other sources?

In other words, are we trying to sort out a simple Garage Band configuration problem, or a convoluted Firewire/Thunderbolt/Computer interfacing problem?

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Homburg » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:57 am

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I can confirm the DAT is connected through analogue output and into analogue channels 1 and 2 of the MOTU. The clock source is set to "Internal".

I have what I believe are the latest drivers for the MOTU, though these are not recent as I understand there have been no new releases in recent years. Could this be a problem?

I confirm I have not used the interface to record into Garageband using any other sources.

I have not used Garageband to record any audio before, in fact.

For this particular task I tried originally to use Audacity app (DAT plugged into USB turntable connected by USB to iMac). But I had an unacceptable whistle/whine in the signal!

I have queried the Firewire-Thunderbolt connection merely because I read somewhere that it could be problematic and not allow for signals in both directions, though I don't recall the details.

Yes, it could be either of the issues you detail at the close of your message.

Thanks.
Homburg

Postby cyrano.mac » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:32 pm

I sense a "No audio input allowed" problem...

Take a trip to System preferences/Security @ privacy and allow audio input for GarageBand by clicking on the microphone icon.

This has bitten a lot of people.
cyrano.mac
Regular