You are here

Hows my mix?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Hows my mix?

Postby blinddrew » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:13 pm

Just to pick up on tsongming's points above, I'm really not familiar with the genre but in a more 'pop' production I'd be expecting a bit more in the way of sound-design / ear candy. Not sure if that's relevant in this area but have a listen to some of your references and look out for it.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Dave B » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:33 pm

I'm trying to work out if the vocal needs to come up more, but the snare is really offputting. It's very dry and high in the mix. I'd try using some more ambience (reverb(s)) to give the drums a bit more of a sense of space and taking the snare down quite a bit. Then decide how the vocal balances.

And ... I hate to get picky .. but it also seems like the vocal tuning is a little off in places. I'm all in favour of not going all overboard on autotune, but it can help pull the tuning into line a bit if used subtly.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Dave B wrote:And ... I hate to get picky .. but it also seems like the vocal tuning is a little off in places. I'm all in favour of not going all overboard on autotune, but it can help pull the tuning into line a bit if used subtly.

Yep, I heard that, but it's only a few notes, but subtle use of Autotune would no doubt deal with it without being at all obvious. I use ReaTune in Reaper, which works beautifully without drawing attention to itself.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ractor » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:14 pm

Great ideas guys. You are the best. Seriously. I'm learning to much. I left the end like that so when i master it i can fade it all out with those guitars. I agree it does fade out too quick. That same hanging part happens a few times through the song. So it leaves the listener expecting another something. I put those whispers on the other hangs to keep the listener interested. And to basically let them know its not over. I can see feedback making it distinctive , and give more of a finally feel to it for sure. Ill see what i can do.

I am concerned that the lead guitar is too loud too. I have auto-tune on all of it. But it might have been not enough, i was worried people would hear the auto tube artifacts. I was expecting someone to say they can hear the auto-tune.. I'm Not quite sure what is off. But it might be some flatness at the start of some lines. Ill use auto tune to find the spots. I'm glad you liked the song tsongming. Its my first one :)
Ractor
New here

Postby Ractor » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:21 am

Ractor
New here

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:48 am

Yet more improvements Ractor! :clap:

The tiny little bits of flat 'out of tune' vocals still occur between 1:08 to 1:26 (your pitching on the second pass is better, but still a little flat in places). Similarly, you're a tiny bit flat again from 1:55 to 2:16 on those lower vocal phrases - I don't think you need to auto-tune the entire phrase though, and the lower harmony vocals should be OK.

By 1:37 you're spot on in tune again, as you are for all those high sustained "FREE" phrases later on. As you mention that you're already using AutoTune, it could simply be that this plug-in copes well with tweaking the tuning of such long sustained notes, but finds it more difficult during more complex pitched phrases where you're bending some notes.

Keep up the good work!

Martin
Martin Walker

Previous