You are here

Which version of Windows 10? (Home / Pro / for Workstations)

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Which version of Windows 10? (Home / Pro / for Workstations)

Postby Agharta » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:26 pm

I did wonder when Pete said they had aimed it at gamers but you are correct in that this is just the storage version and not memory even though they call it Optane memory. :headbang:

Seems obvious now as if it requires a different version of Windows it's hardly going to take off on mainstream systems.
So as I initially thought this is Xeon only I suspect and possibly only certain SKUs as Intel love to segment the market.
If you want massive memory support you have to pay a massive extra cost even though its baked into the silicon.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby wireman » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:00 pm

Agharta wrote:Persistent memory is non-volatile RAM that retains its content such as Optane DIMMs.
Think very high end servers and prices to make your eyes bleed.

Yes, nice to be able to have say 6TB memory on a 2-socket node but I hate to think how much that is going to cost.
wireman
Regular

Postby Agharta » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:25 pm

wireman wrote:
Agharta wrote:Persistent memory is non-volatile RAM that retains its content such as Optane DIMMs.
Think very high end servers and prices to make your eyes bleed.

Yes, nice to be able to have say 6TB memory on a 2-socket node but I hate to think how much that is going to cost.

That's why we were born with 2 kidneys. :D
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:51 pm

Agharta wrote:I did wonder when Pete said they had aimed it at gamers but you are correct in that this is just the storage version and not memory even though they call it Optane memory. :headbang:

Well, they call it Optane Memory because it's a nominally transparent caching layer in the hierarchy, not just an SSD utilising Optane hardware - so it's a specific featureset with attendant branding.

I don't know if Xeon is required for Persistent Memory support - you can certainly buy SKUs that offer W10ProWkstn without Xeon. I know it does require BIOS / UEFI support at the board level.

It's also not necessary to populate every slot in the system with NVDIMM-N either, as you can configure what actually needs to get backed up on system failure / shutdown.

What pisses me off about the whole For Workstation SKU is that they removed ReFS support from basic Pro just to add value to Workstation. You can still access / use any existing ReFS volumes but you can't create new ones.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby wireman » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:35 pm

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:I don't know if Xeon is required for Persistent Memory support - you can certainly buy SKUs that offer W10ProWkstn without Xeon. I know it does require BIOS / UEFI support at the board level.

It's also not necessary to populate every slot in the system with NVDIMM-N either, as you can configure what actually needs to get backed up on system failure / shutdown.

I'm only know (a little) about one system with the Optane memory and it was a custom board running Linux. A memory channel had to have DDR so that limited the configurations and only certain Xeon SKUs support the large memory configurations you can have. The software used is the Intel PMDK stack.
wireman
Regular

Postby Agharta » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:02 pm

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Well, they call it Optane Memory because it's a nominally transparent caching layer in the hierarchy, not just an SSD utilising Optane hardware - so it's a specific featureset with attendant branding.

Still storage though unlike the Optane DIMMs which are memory.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:24 pm

Agharta wrote:
n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Well, they call it Optane Memory because it's a nominally transparent caching layer in the hierarchy, not just an SSD utilising Optane hardware - so it's a specific featureset with attendant branding.

Still storage though unlike the Optane DIMMs which are memory.

Correct. But if the semantics (or pedantics!) bother you, take it up with Intels marketing division. :D

I'm simply pointing out to the OP that Persistent Memory support in Pro for Workstations pertains to NVDIMM-N support, which is separate from Optane, or storage acceleration subsystems or SSDs.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Pete Kaine » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:13 am

Agharta wrote:I did wonder when Pete said they had aimed it at gamers but you are correct in that this is just the storage version and not memory even though they call it Optane memory. :headbang:

Yes, sorry, brainfart. We're on the DIMM versions and not Optane aren't we... this is how uncommon they are, I completely forgot those things even existed.
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Previous