You are here

Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Re: Komplete 6 unit USB socket dead - How to replace

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:35 pm

Marbury wrote:Well I am pleased to report back that I received the K6 back from Dave who kindly worked on installing the usb (confirmed that the solder was indeed one of the hardest to melt) and the unit is working perfectly, even after having my novice mits all over it.

Great work Dave! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Kwackman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:38 pm

Yeah, excellent example of how a forum should be!
Nice one Dave. :thumbup:
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Folderol » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:57 pm

Great to see this.
Oh and Dave, just get a bigger magnifying glass :bouncy: :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby ef37a » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:16 pm

Folderol wrote:Great to see this.
Oh and Dave, just get a bigger magnifying glass :bouncy: :lol:

Not on your Nelly Will! I shall never again put myself up for such a job. Very stressful even though I was not under any pressure at all from the OP* As Dirty Harry said "A man's otta know his limitations" and mine have come in shedloads!

I am very glad the KA6 works again. No one is more surprised than I that it is the case.

Let me state for the record? The internals of the AI are up to excellent electronics standards. The components are as I would expect to see in a £200 ish piece of kit and the PCB quality first class. That the kit is hard to work is a result of US wanting it not to cost £1000 and not be the size of a Fender Blue Breaker!
Bottom line the NI KA6 is an excellent AI and better IMHO than many at its price point WRT supeb drivers and low latency.

*Why does this W10 laptop keep slamming in a black icon about the size of a 1st c stamp with a white 'A' on it with a line through it? Oh! Not an A it is a house or home symbol..

Dave
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:40 pm

Can you feel the love in this thread? :angel:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:30 pm

This is a great community, and I for one frequently feel unworthy of it! :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:20 pm

It certainly makes a change to have someone praised for being a sucker (of the solder variety of course ;) )

Bravo Dave!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Wonks » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:39 pm

Martin Walker wrote:It certainly makes a change to have someone praised for being a sucker (of the solder variety of course ;) )

Bravo Dave!

Sucker? But surely he's the wicker man? :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:30 pm

He's always giving hot tips...

Coat/ :beamup:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Marbury » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:09 am

I think the K6 must have been built with spot welding. Hopefully it should last me a few more years. I think the flashing led when it misses the handshake has also stopped at boot up. You had to leave it a few seconds before pressing the on switch on the pc for it to connect. If it didn’t, you had to unplug the usb and re insert for it to work.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:48 am

Marbury wrote:I think the K6 must have been built with spot welding. Hopefully it should last me a few more years. I think the flashing led when it misses the handshake has also stopped at boot up. You had to leave it a few seconds before pressing the on switch on the pc for it to connect. If it didn’t, you had to unplug the usb and re insert for it to work.

I think (as has been stated somewhere in the other 7 pages!) that the USB port had a problem to begin with.

I have to say again though I was NOT confident about that repair and I am not at all sure it will last for very long. If an AI is important to to you friend M, I would suggest you get a backup. You probably don't want to spend another £170ish so I can certainly recommend the Behringer UMC 204HD. The mic pre amps are AS good as those on the KA6 if not maybe a little better for gain? The 204 does have its foibles. It is not as 'solid' when connetced to PCs and by that I mean you have to do a bit of juggling to get it sorted. Once done however it stays sorted. (till the next time!)

The low output level will hiss you off perhaps if your monitors are insensitive but the headphone output is quite meaty.

Of course! I would suggest another KA6 or, one of those tasty looking SSLs? (do they have MIDI ports?) but then it ain't my money!

Rock on.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:49 am

That can also happen if the laptop USB 5V supply is right on the edge of the required spec.

EDIT

Oi, Dave, stop dissing your own work - we've got professionals to do that :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby ef37a » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:59 am

Folderol wrote:That can also happen if the laptop USB 5V supply is right on the edge of the required spec.

Aha! The KA6 has just about all the bells and whistles you could expect to power from one USB 2.0 port (and spook juice IS compromised) so that could well be an issue Will.

I bought an inline USB power meter and checked the AI. IIRC the power dropped a little to 4.9V on load and the current pull was about 450mA, not as much as I expected.

I have tried the KA6 on a powered hub and it worked fine which not many USB AI do. I also tried a 'Y' USB cable, ie. extra port power to see if it increased phantom power current. It did not. The AI is perfectly happy on a USB 3.0 port and that should deliver more than enough power?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Previous