You are here

New Sonic Arts Nuance User Review by Tommy Zai

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

New Sonic Arts Nuance User Review by Tommy Zai

Postby tommyzai » Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:37 pm

INTRO
Nuance v2 by New Sonic Arts is an inspiring compact creative sampler with a fast, intuitive workflow. There’s no bloat. It’s light on CPU and heavy on performance. It more than lives up to its joyous promise of being quick, capable and fun.

INTIAL IMPRESSION
Upon the first launch, seasoned sampler users might find themselves a little unsure about how to navigate around the interface. Luckily, there are helpful hints that pop up and the GUI soon after becomes intuitive and extremely inviting. It’s minimalist, but it does all the right things and does them well. It can also consolidate, simplify and streamline a user’s setup by assuming virtual drum machine duties. It’s got the pads and kit features, including multiple layers per pad, round robins, choke, etc. The Pad View enables users to load and/or construct kits. The Piano mode returns the user back to a standard sampler with standard keyboard assignment and mapping.

IN ACTION
If it’s what’s inside that counts, Nuance definitely has a lot going on under the hood as evidenced by its performance. If looks do matter, well . . . this is a fine looking piece of software. Check out the website. It’s elegant and ultra-modern, just like their software’s GUI. Side note of little importance . . . I like their logo. The tilted N encapsulated in a ring is cool and catchy . . . easy to see in the dock.

WORKFLOW
I’ve come to realize that there is no one way to flow that work. Users can keep it simple by dragging in single samples (simple instruments) or drums into the padview. In this way, the file browser and My Samples database becomes workflow central. Or, more advanced users can get a bit more complex by building their own multi-instruments and relying more on the map editor and detailed editing functions. That flow might look more like this:

1. Drag sample(s) onto the interface
2. Loop and key assign/map zones via pulling edges around
3. Switch to the Mapping View to set key, velocity range layering, multi-sampling, adjust start/end points, fades and looping in the wave editor.
4. Layer as/if desired
5. Globally edit Pitch, Pan, Volume, FX and modulation in groups or layers. Note: Modulation can be manipulated and then dropped in.
6. Assign to Cycle Groups for sequential round robin triggering.
7. Save

Nuance fosters a super fast basic workflow; yet, the advanced features and power is as needed.

FAVORITE THINGS ABOUT IT

• Neat (compact), user-friendly interface with a truly “effortless workflow”
• Small footprint and CPU friendly
• Loads all the common audio files, and saves patches in its own format with an option to embed referenced samples
• Drag-n-drop in and out
• Inspiring and Musical
• Sounds great
• Simple, yet powerful layering, Amp Env, Pitch, Modulation, and FX
• Modulation is flexible and assignable via a drag-n-drop features into the Modulation Matrix or onto target parameters. For many, this might be a game changer.
• Step/Table Sequencer*provides rhythmic, tempo-synced modulation and the*XY Pad*connects between the Assignment Manager and the Modulation Matrix.
• Round robins for more realism
• Built-in Choke feature for hats and other choke-able instruments.
• Batch edit
• Batch tag samples and filter for lightning browse/selection. The database neatly organizes a sample library within Nuance, which speeds up usage.
• Quick loading of sampler patches
• Helpful speech bubble hints = shallow learning curve
• Stand-alone and plugin versions
• Responsive developer
• Priced right

REQUESTS*
• Pitch detection
• Advanced time compression/expansion
• Crossfading between Zones
• Key-Mapping by filename
• Random round-robin
• Transport and/or audition button for stand-alone version
• Name or color option for pads
• Detailed video tutorials

HEARTFELT THOUGHTS
If you love the feeling of falling in love as much as I do, you’ll dig Nuance. It’s like the best chocolate imaginable . . . a few simple ingredients . . . smooth, tasty, and not too sweet. So far, I see many positives and endless potential. Hopefully, this honeymoon stage is everlasting. ;-) Nuance is a piece of software that I’ve been searching for . . . inspiring, fun to use, and not an overly complex mess. I don’t foresee myself outgrowing this fine software. Like any good relationship, I hope we grow together. Nice job, New Sonic Arts. You won my heart; hopefully, that leads to some beats. ;-)

SUMMARY
Will it do everything the mega samplers like Kontakt, HALion, and MachFive does? NO! Will it do a better, faster job at the most important thing . . . help users make music? YES, I believe so! The full feature set of Nuance will not be as deep as the mega samplers, but it will blow away standard samplers. Nuance combines simplicity to enable users to work fast, but does not have the limitations of some simple samplers. The power is there if/when needed. This baby is streamlined and will sample circles around the big bloated beasts!! Nuance is cleaner, less confusing, and enables musicians, producers, DJs, etc. to focus on what matters instead of wasting time being frustrated. Without hesitation, I give Nuance two pulsating thumbs up. Check out the free demo!

Note #1: I’d also like to check out their other offerings, i.e. Granite (granular texture generator), Vice (loop slicer), and Freestyle (stage and studio).

Note #2: If you cannot live without pitch detection and advanced time compression/expansion, I suggest complimenting Nuance with Serato Sample. They make a great team.
tommyzai
Poster
I am Tommy Zai!

Re: New Sonic Arts Nuance User Review by Tommy Zai

Postby zenguitar » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:53 pm

The most important thing to consider when reading a review is whether or not you can trust the reviewer.

You have posted many glowing reviews but have completely failed to establish your credentials as a reviewer. You have no track record in the industry, no examples of your work, and done nothing to let us know what qualifies you to write reviews. In fact, the only testimonials on your website refer to teaching English as a foreign language in China.

Put simply, it is impossible to trust your reviews. You might consider that before posting further reviews.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby tommyzai » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:14 pm

Andy,
This is a USER REVIEW and I am a USER. That's what qualifies me. Why would you be so unkind to someone who takes the time to write and post about stuff? I look for the positives . . . that's true, but I also list things I think could be added or improved, e.g.,

REQUESTS
• Pitch detection
• Advanced time compression/expansion
• Crossfading between Zones
• Key-Mapping by filename
• Random round-robin
• Transport and/or audition button for stand-alone version
• Name or color option for pads
• Detailed video tutorials

I think the most important qualification for a moderator is to be decent human being who is fair. If I were a Mod and had these concerns, I would send a private message . . . not slam the person in public. You certainly wouldn't do that in person; don't do it virtually!
tommyzai
Poster
I am Tommy Zai!

Postby Kwackman » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:27 pm

tommyzai wrote: I really wonder why someone would take the time to be so mean to someone who takes the time to demo and write about something.

Who asked you to "take the time to demo and write"?
Why do you write them?
And why do you feel the need to put "By Tommy Zai" in the titles?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby tommyzai » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:37 pm

What the? Why put my name on it? Should it be anonymous? You know, I tried to post reviews several years ago, and the results were the same . . . unkind attacks. What's with you guys?

What's in it for me? I get to spread the word about stuff I like.

What's in it for you? Do you get off on being mean to someone who spend hours writing something to help bring some insight and humor about some cool audio software?

Back to writing more reviews.

Take care.
tommyzai
Poster
I am Tommy Zai!

Postby Kwackman » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:27 pm

tommyzai wrote:What the? Why put my name on it? Should it be anonymous?
If you hadn't put your name in the title it would still have appeared three times in your post (top, bottom and in your signature). Hardly anonymous. That's why I asked why you also put it in the subject title.

tommyzai wrote:You know, I tried to post reviews several years ago and the results were the same . . . unkind attacks. What's with you guys?
:D We're just cruel people who have not got the Christmas spirit yet. :D
Do you post on other forums too?
Are they friendlier than here?
I think this SOS forum is one of the friendliest ones out there.

tommyzai wrote:What's in it for me? I get to spread the word about stuff I like.
Fair enough.

tommyzai wrote:What's in it for you? Do you get off on being mean to someone who spend hours writing something to help bring some insight and humor about some cool audio software?.
You're free to call me mean, and I know some people who would agree with you. :frown:
But it's your decision to spend the hours writing this stuff.
You're using a well respected free public forum to post it.
If you feel your work isn't appreciated here, I suggest you have to live with that and not accuse people with different opinions of your work of being unkind or mean.

tommyzai wrote:Take care.
You too. :thumbup:
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby zenguitar » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:23 am

You don’t write reviews from the perspective of a user, you write reviews as if you were writing for a magazine. But, significantly, you have side stepped the key point; what are your credentials as a reviewer?

Yes, I could have sent a private message, but sometimes it’s better to moderate publicly. You were not being told to refrain from reviewing (if that was the case your posts would have been deleted and your user profile banned - this is being discussed) but you were told how your reviews appear to readers. There is nothing in any of your reviews that gives any confidence that you have actually used the software you are reviewing.

Remember, these forums are provided freely by Sound On Sound. If you abuse our hospitality we have every right to remove you from them. You have failed to engage in any of the conversations here, you have just treated us as a place to post your reviews.

You may not realise that this website is provided by one of the leading and longest established music technology magazines in the world. All the content of the magazines over 6 months old is made available free for anyone to read. That includes decades worth of reviews of hardware and software. As that content is available free, I would suggest that you spend a few weeks reading those reviews. Then you might understand my criticism of your reviews.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:24 pm

TommyZai has complained to me directly about the responses to his reviews. The fact that he contacted me suggests he is not a spammer, which is what I think many were thinking. Apparently, he is a former music producer, which answers Andy's question about credentials.

However, I have explained to him that we expect forum members to contribute to the forums by sharing their knowledge and experience to help other forum members -- rather than simply using the SOS site as a publishing platform for their own reviews.

Hopefully he'll take that on board...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound