You are here

Behringer 2600

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Behringer 2600

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:55 am

BigRedX wrote:If they are all sold out already I can't see any point in SOS reviewing it.

Just as a keen synthesizer nerd, I'd be absolutely gutted if SOS didn't do the full-on Gordon review! I'm never ever going to buy one of these beasts, so I don't give a monkey's whether the first run has sold out or not... but I want to know all there is to know about it regardless. The same applies to a lot of other high end gear too...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:05 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
BigRedX wrote:If they are all sold out already I can't see any point in SOS reviewing it.

Just as a keen synthesizer nerd, I'd be absolutely gutted if SOS didn't do the full-on Gordon review! I'm never ever going to buy one of these beasts, so I don't give a monkey's whether the first run has sold out or not... but I want to know all there is to know about it regardless. The same applies to a lot of other high end gear too...

I may be wrong, but I can't see the point of reviewing things that aren’t available, or on the market, it’s would be a bit of a wind up for me, rubbing salt into the wounds.

:( :?:
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:13 am

Arpangel wrote:I can't see the point of reviewing things that aren’t available, or on the market...

Firstly, the lead time of magazine production is such that it was reviewed just before the 2600 was first made available on the market. It's pretty unusual that such an expensive and unique product sells out so quickly after launch, and unfortunate timing for the magazine.

Nevertheless, there's a good chance that even if the first batch has fully sold out, Korg may well do a second run if all those claiming to be so disappointed at having missed it genuinely want to place orders...

There's also the comparison aspect as we know Behringer is producing its own version soon, so it will be interesting to compare the two -- both technically and in terms of the performance experience -- through their reviews.

Next, there's the second hand market: these things will inevitably appear on it in years to come, and that's when a good review in the SOS archives would be a very useful thing.

And then there's just the 'untouchable dream' thing. Half the stuff reviewed in the mag is unavailable to most because they simply don't have the money, the space, or the requirement... but they still want to read about it and dream....

But hey, if the review will really upset you that much I'll personally cut the pages out of your subscription copy before we send it out...

Oh, wait... I just remembered, you don't buy the mag do you?
:headbang:

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby BigRedX » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:41 am

I don't mind reviews of things that are out of reach for me simply because I don't have the money. I can aspire to owning them when I do - that's what I did when I saw my first Gus Guitar in one of the music magazines back in the mid-80s, now I own 4 of them.

However for something that has already sold out and with no definite plans for a second run, I really can't see the point. If the review has already been written then save it for if Korg definitely decide to make some more.

As for the second hand market how often do these instruments show up from the original production run? There's one on eBay in the US at the moment, but that's the only one I have seen for quite some time. I would imagine that a lot of the Korg production run will have sold to owners of the original model as a backup.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:12 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:But hey, if the review will really upset you that much I'll personally cut the pages out of your subscription copy before we send it out...

Oh, wait... I just remembered, you don't buy the mag do you?
:headbang:

H

Thanks Hugh, I may take you up on that....
Ecologically I’m on the ball reading my friends copy, if he didn’t give it to me he’d have to throw it away, and that wouldn’t be good.

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:11 pm

Ecologically, you wouldn't read a paper copy at all. You'd subscribe to the electronic version and read a lovingly crafted PDF on the same tablet/computer/smart phone that you use to spend nearly as much time on these SOS forums as I do...

And you do know it's illegal to discard old copies of SOS don't you? It's the law that every issue must be lovingly filed away in a personal archive for ever more.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ramthelinefeed » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:18 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:

Yes but the reason so many of these synthesizers *are* unavailable in the first place is because GORDON HAS THEM ALL :lol:
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:22 pm

I fear you may have a good argument there... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby DGL. » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:10 pm

ramthelinefeed wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote:

Yes but the reason so many of these synthesizers *are* unavailable in the first place is because GORDON HAS THEM ALL :lol:

Well apart form the VCS3/AKS as JMJ has all of them and, of course, Vangelis has all the CS80's :lol:
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby ramthelinefeed » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:03 pm

I'm sure Gordon scoffs at Vangelis's puny CS-80s from behind his GX-1 :bouncy:
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:10 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Ecologically, you wouldn't read a paper copy at all. You'd subscribe to the electronic version and read a lovingly crafted PDF on the same tablet/computer/smart phone that you use to spend nearly as much time on these SOS forums as I do...

And you do know it's illegal to discard old copies of SOS don't you? It's the law that every issue must be lovingly filed away in a personal archive for ever more.

Reading a magazine on the internet is a completely different thing to taking part in a forum, for me. I hate reading mags, books etc on a screen.
I've spent many years buying SOS from my local Sainsbury’s before my friend started discarding them, he’s one of these people who’s the opposite of a hoarder, he has to get rid of stuff he’s read, or doesn’t need anymore.
Also, apart from hanging out here, I no longer have such a deep interest in recording equipment that I used to have, not to the extent that a I need to read reviews and articles.
If a problem arises, or I need help with a possible purchase, I’ll always ask here first, that’s about it.
I have three back copies of SOS on my shelves, and a few Studio Sound magazines, all of which contain very valuable articles that I can’t bare to part with, or interviews with friends.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby DGL. » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:37 am

New video of the latest hardware revision, looking and sounding fantastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8cpfNBnO-A
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:55 am

DGL. wrote:New video of the latest hardware revision, looking and sounding fantastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8cpfNBnO-A

It's awful, sorry, but that’s it.
It’s nothing like a 2600, too far from the original, that square shape for a start, then all those tacky lights, and orange too, looks a million times better in grey.
And......where’s the keyboard???
It’s an abomination, Korg nailed it, if only they’d made more, I won’t be buying this that’s for sure, do you by any chance get the impression a I don’t like it?

:D
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:56 am

I never had, or even used, a 2600 so I'm not going to worry about the comparisons to one. I'll be getting this based on its own sound. I quite like the aesthetic actually :-)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby IAA » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:13 am

I like the additional LFO, a sensible mod. I’m not sure about the form factor, Although it’s certainly a practical desktop module in that guise, although the upright back of the studio look was the iconic one for me! Anyway, given there still isn’t a Korg rerun on the horizon, this may be the only show in town. If they’ve nailed the sound, this is my version of modular.
IAA
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext