You are here

Ethernet to ethernet?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Ethernet to ethernet?

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:40 am

I am in the process of shunting some pretty large chunks of data around and am using a USB 3.0 drive and some sticks.

It occured to me that both my laptops have Gbit LAN ports but I have never read of anyone using them for data swaps?

I did Google the process and it looks like a bit of a faff to setup, is the resulting speed worth the effort?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: Ethernet to ethernet?

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:55 pm

It should be. I think most computers now have the ability to use standard ethernet cables for direct pc to pc connection without requiring a crossover, though if not, your fibre/cable modem or wi-fi router probably has multiple ports that will create a lan for you.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:36 pm

Wonks wrote:It should be. I think most computers now have the ability to use standard ethernet cables for direct pc to pc connection without requiring a crossover, though if not, your fibre/cable modem or wi-fi router probably has multiple ports that will create a lan for you.

Thanks Wonks. I have a crossover cable somewhere if I need one but if not I can make one.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:16 pm

You may not need a crossover cable, as auto-sensing ports are very common these days. Before resorting to making an Xover it's definitely worth trying with a normal cable first.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby ef37a » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:50 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:You may not need a crossover cable, as auto-sensing ports are very common these days. Before resorting to making an Xover it's definitely worth trying with a normal cable first.

Yes, my reply was a bit garbled! (minor health crisis) I knew Xovers were fairly redundent now and meant IF I cannot find one I shall hack one up if a standard cable doesn't work. Hmm, got a brand new CAT 6 somewhere?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster