You are here

Rosen Sound.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Rosen Sound.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:40 am

Thought this guy was interesting, some good pics of the CS80...what a nightmare!

:shocked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j5q75xsnoE
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Rosen Sound.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:25 am

The CS80 is a beautiful thing and its construction is a magnificent joy to behold! It's just when having to move the thing that all that thick plywood and solid metalwork becomes a pain...

The whole rack of oscillator and filter cards at the back lifts up for access to the trimmers for alignment (or for board removal). The keybed -- which is much deeper and better constructed than most today -- also hinges up as shown to access all the logic control boards underneath. There's even a metal prop stay built in to hold it open.

I have to say the CS80 was easily the best synth for servicing that I've ever had to work on in terms of accessability, and the service manual was also one of the most detailed and helpful (despite some hilarious Japanglish translations) ... but the sheer complexity of the CS80 means that setting it up after a repair is... er... quite involved.

I had to replace a couple of faulty filter chips and one faulty oscillator chip in mine, and aligning everything correctly again afterwards was extraordinarily time consuming -- there are a lot (maybe a dozen, from memory) of trimmers on each board that adjust the various parameters and the control voltages for each element of circuitry, as you might have seen in that video, and they all need to be set just so.

And then when you put the rack back down and close the lid the internal temperature rises and the voltages all change slightly so you have to go back in and tweak again... and you end up going around that loop several times. But once sorted, I found the CS80 was actually a very stable and reliable machine.

And it's the fact that there are so many trimmers everywhere, inherently all set very slightly differently on each card, that gives the CS80 its incredibly natural character because every time you play a new note it gets allocated to a different oscillator/filter set and consequently sounds very slightly different from all the others. It's magical!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby OneWorld » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:42 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:The CS80 is a beautiful thing and its construction is a magnificent joy to behold! It's just when having to move the thing that all that thick plywood and solid metalwork becomes a pain...

The whole rack of oscillator and filter cards at the back lifts up for access to the trimmers for alignment (or for board removal). The keybed -- which is much deeper and better constructed than most today -- also hinges up as shown to access all the logic control boards underneath. There's even a metal prop stay built in to hold it open.

I have to say the CS80 was easily the best synth for servicing that I've ever had to work on in terms of accessability, and the service manual was also one of the most detailed and helpful (despite some hilarious Japanglish translations) ... but the sheer complexity of the CS80 means that setting it up after a repair is... er... quite involved.

I had to replace a couple of faulty filter chips and one faulty oscillator chip in mine, and aligning everything correctly again afterwards was extraordinarily time consuming -- there are a lot (maybe a dozen, from memory) of trimmers on each board that adjust the various parameters and the control voltages for each element of circuitry, as you might have seen in that video, and they all need to be set just so.

And then when you put the rack back down and close the lid the internal temperature rises and the voltages all change slightly so you have to go back in and tweak again... and you end up going around that loop several times. But once sorted, I found the CS80 was actually a very stable and reliable machine.

And it's the fact that there are so many trimmers everywhere, inherently all set very slightly differently on each card, that gives the CS80 its incredibly natural character because every time you play a new note it gets allocated to a different oscillator/filter set and consequently sounds very slightly different from all the others. It's magical!

H

Sounds like the electronic musical equipment equivalent of working on those steam engines on that tv series currently showing, a labour of love as they say
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby zenguitar » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:13 pm

How about a single voice CS80 ;)

https://www.kmraudio.com/black-corporat ... -voice.php

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby The Elf » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:04 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:And it's the fact that there are so many trimmers everywhere, inherently all set very slightly differently on each card, that gives the CS80 its incredibly natural character
Glass half full, Hugh?! :lol:

Mine was simply always out of tune! :lol:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:23 pm

You see... I said it was stable.... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby MOF » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:19 pm

I played one on a demo recording I did at Fairview studios near Hull (still going I see) many years ago.
I now have the Arturia package for those classic synths.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:27 pm

zenguitar wrote:How about a single voice CS80 ;)

https://www.kmraudio.com/black-corporat ... -voice.php

Andy :beamup:
The preorder for this has been going on forever! Should it actually get made, I am definitely interested in one or two!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:29 am

OneWorld wrote:Sounds like the electronic musical equipment equivalent of working on those steam engines on that tv series currently showing, a labour of love as they say

No, steam engines are a doddle compared to a CS80.

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster