You are here

I want to control very good acoustic guitar sounds through a MIDI In port; through Note On/offs

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

I want to control very good acoustic guitar sounds through a MIDI In port; through Note On/offs

Postby FastEddie007 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:25 pm

So I was eyeing a Roland GR-55 because I saw YouTube Demos of the great acoustic guitar sounds....but just learned that you cannot use those sounds through the MIDI In port.

So I am opening up this question here: How can I control very good acoustic guitar sounds via a MIDI In.

So far I am looking at a Korg Wavestation or possibly a Ketron SD1000.

What do people here think?
FastEddie007

Re: I want to control very good acoustic guitar sounds through a MIDI In port; through Note On/offs

Postby desmond » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:19 pm

FastEddie007 wrote:So I am opening up this question here: How can I control very good acoustic guitar sounds via a MIDI In.

So far I am looking at a Korg Wavestation or possibly a Ketron SD1000.

A Korg Wavestation? For *acoustic guitar* sounds? I'm not sure where you got that idea... (it's a bad one.)

I don't know what your version of "very good" means, but you are not going to get very good acoustic guitar sounds from a cheap GM MIDI module. "Tolerable under some limited circumstances" might be a better description, but it depends on what you want to do. Are you looking for solo parts? Fingerpicking parts? Or strumming and chordal parts?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Re: I want to control very good acoustic guitar sounds through a MIDI In port; through Note On/offs

Postby FastEddie007 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:14 pm

Thanks for the reply...

Mostly strumming and chordal parts, but also possibly fingerpicking parts too.

I am looking for the best possible options. If the answer is that there are no real good options, then so be it.

Just seeing what people who know better think.
FastEddie007

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:25 pm

As a guitar player, not a keys/synth guy, I have yet to hear any really convincing guitar sounds coming from midi/keyboard gear (or 'proper' keyboard sounds from a guitar synth either). It's down the the way the instrument is played, chord voicing and articulation. The two means of 'inputting' notes are so drastically different it's almost impossible to sound convincing.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:49 pm

You'd be better off with a virtual acoustic guitar instrument on a computer. Not that I've tried any myself, but there are some out there with good reviews (check out the SOS reviews section). At least you are then triggering samples strums and proper fingerpicking rather than just playing what is normally a poor approximation of a single acoustic guitar note from a MIDI module.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:56 pm

There are some good options out there, but not the ones you've mentioned. I'd look at something like the Roland Integra-7, if it's a hardware module you want, but there are some very good sample libraries available. Try here for starters:

https://www.amplesound.net/en/index.asp
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby desmond » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:00 pm

FastEddie007 wrote:Mostly strumming and chordal parts, but also possibly fingerpicking parts too.

You cannot get even marginally convincing strumming parts from a MIDI module, so if that's what you're after, I'd urge you to reconsider.

The only *semi-decent* way of doing this is with sample-based virtual instruments, eg an acoustic guitar strumming library running in Kontakt in your DAW, and even then they are still a little bit stiff and limited - but it sounds like those are a bit beyond your requirements and budgets.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:42 pm

There are a million guitar players out there, it'd be much simpler to hook up with one after this is all over and just get him/her to play the parts :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:46 pm

As a guitar player I realise this is sacrilege but I've messed about with the Garageband guitar module for rehearsal and songwriting duties and been quite impressed by the outcome.

It would never fool a guitar player but not everyone is bothered about that.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby MOF » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:56 pm

Native Instruments ‘Strummed’ versions 1 & 2.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby FastEddie007 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:55 pm

Thanks so much for all the answers!

Very helpful to me.
FastEddie007

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:56 am

No idea if this is useful reference or not, but I have had the bones of a track kicking around for a (long) while, which has a synthesized acoustic-guitar-like intro which was done using a couple of Omnisphere v1 patches (I think - there may be some Yamaha XS8 in there).

It's (very) unfinished, hence the private link on Soundcloud but the first 1:40 of this is what I'm talking about.

https://soundcloud.com/eddy-deegan/onom ... udCGfYESWe

It does give a rough idea of the sort of thing you can do with synths.

A dedicated guitar-emulation plugin would be my bet if I was looking to do guitar stuff via MIDI more and I see a couple of suggestions in previous posts which hopefully work for you.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!