You are here

Hardware Insert - Why Am I Losing Low End?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Hardware Insert - Why Am I Losing Low End?

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:38 pm

Can't see how it would be in this case but it sounds a bit like a polarity inversion of one channel would affect a stereo signal. Obviously if you're running in mono that can't be the case but.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:41 pm

My money's still on an impedance mismatch... Hugh's facts 'n' figures are also pointing in that direction.

In simple terms what's needed is something to put a heavier load in the path so the respective outputs and inputs are at peace with each other.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:53 pm

What happens if you feed via the instrument input (you might need to keep the signal level down on the Scarlett output). That might help identify whether it's the line input at fault (which seems likely) or the line output.

Egg sucking time... but you have checked your cables are all good haven't you? A lack of bass and a rising top end is often indicitive of a broken signal wire...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ITHertz » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:46 am

Hi Everyone,

I contacted Warm Audio and they said it sounds like a faulty balanced cable. I'll check that first but it means I have to get to the back of my rack which requires moving some other stuff. I'll report back when I've checked the cables on the rear of the patchbay.

Cheers,

Chris
ITHertz
Regular

Postby ITHertz » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:00 am

I swapped the leads at the back of my rack and I think it's fixed the problem. The original patch leads were Hosas and I noticed that they were a tiny bit loose in the sockets. I replaced them with some leads with different plugs that were a tighter fit and that seemed to fix the problem.

Cheers,

Chris
ITHertz
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:50 am

Good work :thumbup:

I stand corrected... :blush:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Previous