You are here

Best "removable" option to soundproof a window?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Best "removable" option to soundproof a window?

Postby mikehende » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:01 pm

James Perrett wrote:Is the reason that you need to remove the panel to allow light in? If so, have you thought about using a permanently fitted double glazed unit or a sheet of 10mm glass instead of the panel? It may also be worth replacing the outer window with something more substantial.

No not to let light in but to see outside.

I had considered putting in a new window but without any form of soundproofing did see that is makes sense.

Can you guys have a look at this option please? It's an improvement on my curtain idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzNzXA8aPLA
mikehende
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:07 pm

mikehende wrote:I had considered putting in a new window but without any form of soundproofing did see that is makes sense.

Can you guys have a look at this option please? It's an improvement on my curtain idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzNzXA8aPLA

I can't see that helping much at all. A 10mm thick sheet of glass will be far more effective at soundproofing. My studio windows consist of a standard double glazed unit outside with a 6mm sheet of glass around 20cm behind it. You can hear hardly anything through that.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby mikehende » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:34 pm

Sorry I am not understanding about the "6mm sheet of glass being it". Does this mean you have added another shot of glass to the window for added sound reinforcement?
mikehende
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:42 am

mikehende wrote:Sorry I am not understanding about the "6mm sheet of glass being it". Does this mean you have added another shot of glass to the window for added sound reinforcement?

My studio has 2 layers - the outer layer made of concrete blocks with the double glazed window in it and an inner layer with stud walls, multiple layers of plasterboard (sheetrock) and a window with 6mm glass in line with the double glazed window.

In your case I'm suggesting that you replace your removable soundproofing with the thickest piece of glass that you can afford which can then stay in place permanently. Better still, replace the existing window with something more soundproof as well (and move it out towards the outer edge of the wall to give a bigger air gap between the two layers of glass).
James Perrett

Postby mikehende » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:40 pm

Thanks, I think we have explored all possible options here. I will give my son these options mentioned. Either get a quality headphone to use after 10pm at night or get a new window system as mentioned.

Appreciate the help guys, be safe!
mikehende
Regular

Postby AlecSp » Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:16 am

mikehende wrote: I will give my son these options mentioned. Either get a quality headphone to use after 10pm at night or get a new window system as mentioned.
It might be worth considering that good headphones can move house with the owner very easily, whereas building materials will stay put - just saying....
AlecSp
Regular

Postby mikehende » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:06 am

Makes sense.

I was listening to his music outside the garage yesterday and with everything we've done already I don't see all that much difference.

He has to either use the headphone when it's late or kill the bass and drop the overall volume low for it to work in it's existing condition.
mikehende
Regular

Postby mikehende » Sun May 03, 2020 2:36 pm

Hey guys, I am trying out this APP today but not seeing a tutorial on how to use it, can anyone guide please?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/noisee/id549239949

I want to see how many decibels the window apparatus drops the noise by so I will stand outside the garage and test with the apparatus on and off.
mikehende
Regular

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun May 03, 2020 10:45 pm

Short of a complete 'room within a room' construction, you're not going to reduce the sound he WANTS to make enough to satisfy the neighbours. And some neighbours will complain about anything audible at all. I've had complaints from the floor above about the keyboard clatter of an electric piano played with headphones!

Headphones after 10 pm. Period.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Postby mikehende » Mon May 04, 2020 1:11 pm

Agreed the headphone is the surest way for late night but I will still try to contain it even during the day time.

Yesterday we did a test with my son's phone and the best app available and I was totally surprised that the window apparatus only dropped the music by 3 db's. If that app is accurate this would mean the curtain which shows a reduction of 7db's would be twice as effective [if that is accurate too].
mikehende
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Mon May 04, 2020 1:33 pm

Maybe another part of the building is contributing more to the leakage?
James Perrett

Postby mikehende » Mon May 04, 2020 1:42 pm

Still, the numbers show the effectiveness of the window apparatus itself.
mikehende
Regular

Previous