You are here

Snare reverb?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Snare reverb?

Postby MOF » Fri May 15, 2020 7:29 pm

UAD plugins notably EMT plate and AMS RMX 16.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri May 15, 2020 8:36 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:I only ever record the sound of gigantic boulders crashing down mountainsides when I want percussion, personally..

Superb! :D :lol: :D :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 15, 2020 9:28 pm

Sam Inglis wrote:I only ever record the sound of gigantic boulders crashing down mountainsides when I want percussion, personally..
Can anyone confirm if this is a permitted activity under lockdown?
#askingforafriend
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby desmond » Fri May 15, 2020 9:52 pm

blinddrew wrote:Can anyone confirm if this is a permitted activity under lockdown?

Yes, it's OK as long as you - er, they, STAY ALERT.

In Scotland, Ireland and Wales (where most of the mountains are), then no.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Eddy Deegan » Sat May 16, 2020 2:57 am

Up-front disclaimer to the OP:

At this point I think your question has gotten a lot of good answers so do follow up if you want any more info on anything specific. On the forums here at SOS threads sometimes veer off into humerous or irreverent territory once they appear to have served their useful purpose so don't think for a minute we didn't collectively take your question seriously.

The ratio of quality contributers to unhelpful people is very high here, but for one reason or another your first response wasn't in the usual spirit of the forum, although subsequent ones were.

That said:

CS70 wrote:
Rich Hanson wrote:
CS70 wrote:
Terrible.dee wrote:Good room mics in a good space.

Digital reverb sounds BAD, it always has and it always will.

Like the EMT 250 and the Lexi 224 I suppose.. :bouncy:

I've given up paying any attention at all to that person, who in my opinion verges on troll like behaviour at times. Gives these broad sweeping statements, never backs them up, doesn't engage.

Yeah totally agree... still if time and mood allows, I always find it funny to troll the trolls a little.. you know like these nice guys that call you telling you there's a virus in your computer and if you give them control they will fix it right away - the fun is stringing them along as long as possible... yes, should probably get out more! :D

Look, you can criticise all you like and you can MUCK ABOUT with your EMTs, AMS's, Bricastis, Lexicons, Eventides and so on all day but they SOUND BAD and you KNOW it.

Unless you've got one of THESE in your studio (and what IDIOT hasn't?) you're basically WASTING your time paddling in the SHALLOW end.

Pffffff.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works.
Please consider submitting an original track to the 2nd SOS Forum Album project!

Postby Kwackman » Sat May 16, 2020 9:45 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:Unless you've got one of THESE in your studio.

James Taylor?
It was in SOS years ago I think.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Kwackman » Sat May 16, 2020 12:50 pm

Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Rich Hanson » Sun May 17, 2020 6:58 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:Up-front disclaimer to the OP:

At this point I think your question has gotten a lot of good answers so do follow up if you want any more info on anything specific. On the forums here at SOS threads sometimes veer off into humerous or irreverent territory once they appear to have served their useful purpose so don't think for a minute we didn't collectively take your question seriously.

The ratio of quality contributers to unhelpful people is very high here, but for one reason or another your first response wasn't in the usual spirit of the forum, although subsequent ones were.

That said:

CS70 wrote:
Rich Hanson wrote:
CS70 wrote:
Terrible.dee wrote:Good room mics in a good space.

Digital reverb sounds BAD, it always has and it always will.

Like the EMT 250 and the Lexi 224 I suppose.. :bouncy:

I've given up paying any attention at all to that person, who in my opinion verges on troll like behaviour at times. Gives these broad sweeping statements, never backs them up, doesn't engage.

Yeah totally agree... still if time and mood allows, I always find it funny to troll the trolls a little.. you know like these nice guys that call you telling you there's a virus in your computer and if you give them control they will fix it right away - the fun is stringing them along as long as possible... yes, should probably get out more! :D

Look, you can criticise all you like and you can MUCK ABOUT with your EMTs, AMS's, Bricastis, Lexicons, Eventides and so on all day but they SOUND BAD and you KNOW it.

Unless you've got one of THESE in your studio (and what IDIOT hasn't?) you're basically WASTING your time paddling in the SHALLOW end.

Pffffff.

I did wonder what was buried under your drive...
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby MOF » Sun May 17, 2020 10:37 pm

Pffffff.

Just the one? I find that a good selection of agricultural silos and oil refinery containers are essential.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby outofphase » Mon May 18, 2020 1:00 pm

Terrible.dee wrote:Digital reverb sounds BAD, it always has and it always will.
What about convolution reverbs?

For me, I don't mind digital reverbs. For drums, I have a send channel with FabFilter Pro-R (small room), EQ with some left/right, mid/side cuts and boost to shape interesting virtual room. And the last thing in the chain is compressor or saturator to make it less dynamic.
outofphase
New here
My setup: Adam S3X-V, Lynx Hilo, Beyerdynamic 1990
My turntables article.

Postby Sam Inglis » Mon May 18, 2020 2:06 pm

MOF wrote: I find that a good selection of agricultural silos and oil refinery containers are essential.

Amateur! I use the earth's hollow interior as my reverb chamber.
Sam Inglis

Postby zenguitar » Mon May 18, 2020 2:17 pm

I thought the earth was flat, I use it as my plate reverb.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby MOF » Mon May 18, 2020 2:29 pm

Amateur! I use the earth's hollow interior as my reverb chamber.
:lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby AlasdairEaston » Mon May 18, 2020 5:39 pm

:lol: :lol: I'm enjoying the laughs here. As far as I'm concerned MOF wins with his agricultural and oil refinery equipment.

On the question of reverb plug-ins though... I read a thread on another forum that ended the debate for me, there and then. When the thread began, the arguments had been something like "Bricasti hardware reverb is the best and none of those plug-ins can touch it. Don't even talk to me about it, unless you've actually owned one, then you'll understand." It had got a bit heated.

Well one of the guys decided run a blind test with his Bricasti, some other hardware and some software plug-in reverbs. The list is below. He ran the same material through each, and shared the resulting files with no information about which was which. Then he held a vote. I listened to the files and struggled to choose a favourite.

When he revealed the vote results, the winner by quite a way was the Lexicon MPX Native plug-in. At the time it was on a deal for 37 Euros. I bought it there and then, put the whole matter to bed and moved on. :thumbup: Rightly or wrongly? I don't know, but I'm really happy with the decision.

What I took from it was not that Lexicon MPX Native is the best reverb for everything. The experiment was on such a small subset of possible music and settings. For me the lesson is that they're all so good that the quality of my reverb processor is not even close to being the thing that's holding my music back.

Considering how deep and expensive (money and time) the reverb "rabbit hole" is, I'm really glad to have found a way to dodge it. And for EUR37 it was a particularly easy decision.

I'd post a link to the thread but I'm not sure it's good etiquette to post across to another forum?

Cheers,
Ali.

The list he used...

HARDWARE

Bricasti M7
Lexicon PCM92
Yamaha SPX2000

SOFTWARE

Seventh Heaven Pro
Lexicon MPX Native
Native Instruments RC48
Eventide Blackhole
Valhalla Room
Relab LX480 (10-day demo copy)
AlasdairEaston
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon May 18, 2020 5:44 pm

AlasdairEaston wrote:For me the lesson is that they're all so good that the quality of my reverb processor is not even close to being the thing that's holding my music back.

Good lesson to learn, and that exact same lesson applies to so much in the project studio world including preamps, interfaces, DAWs, EQs, compressors, etc etc...

To a surprisingly large extent it also applies to microphones and monitors once you get sufficiently above the bargain basement fodder.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

PreviousNext