You are here

Sharing DAW audio into Zoom meetings (Windows 10)

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Sharing DAW audio into Zoom meetings (Windows 10)

Postby kingy75 » Wed May 20, 2020 1:56 pm

Hi all,

How can I share audio from my Windows 10 DAW (digital audio workstation), iTunes and Google Chrome all into my Zoom meetings?

I need professional audio quality for my online teaching but I'm really not sure where to start with getting my audio into Zoom.

Cheers :)
kingy75
Poster

Re: Sharing DAW audio into Zoom meetings (Windows 10)

Postby Kwackman » Wed May 20, 2020 3:53 pm

This might point you in the right direction?

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... work-music
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed May 20, 2020 4:11 pm

Hi,

That article is primarily about getting the best live sound. If you don't do the "original sound" stuff in the article then Zoom tends to assume music is background noise and tries to eliminate it so I think you're going to need to do that anyway. However it doesn't really cover sound from your DAW etc (I should know, I wrote it :) ). Can you be a bit more specific about what you have in mind and I'll see what I can do to help.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby kingy75 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:43 am

ConcertinaChap wrote:Hi,

That article is primarily about getting the best live sound. If you don't do the "original sound" stuff in the article then Zoom tends to assume music is background noise and tries to eliminate it so I think you're going to need to do that anyway. However it doesn't really cover sound from your DAW etc (I should know, I wrote it :) ). Can you be a bit more specific about what you have in mind and I'll see what I can do to help.

CC

Thanks for your replies, guys. I need to run a mic for my voice plus a software instrument track from my DAW (Cakewalk) into Zoom.

Ideally I'd love to route iTunes and Chrome through Zoom as well but just the DAW would be enough at this stage.
kingy75
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 21, 2020 9:10 am

How are you mixing your voice levels and DAW/computer levels? Have you got an interface with its own mixer panel (Focusrite MixControl or TotalMix etc)?
I might get chance to have a quick play at lunchtime to see how I'd do it if I needed to, I'll let you know how I get on.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby kingy75 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:20 am

blinddrew wrote:How are you mixing your voice levels and DAW/computer levels? Have you got an interface with its own mixer panel (Focusrite MixControl or TotalMix etc)?
I might get chance to have a quick play at lunchtime to see how I'd do it if I needed to, I'll let you know how I get on.

I'm using a Roland Quad Capture for my audio interface. I can use it's mixer panel to mix my voice level. I'd adjust any software instruments from within the DAW. I guess I could mix my voice level inside the DAW too.

I've tried setting the mic input in Zoom to my audio interface but it just sounds terrible.

On my Mac I use Loopback to route audio between applications with a virtual device. I basically need an app like Loopback for PC that lets me route processed audio from my DAW to Zoom. See this tutorial here for how I have my Mac set up: https://brianli.com/how-to-host-an-onli ... M1bcTZF-Tk
kingy75
Poster

Postby notuno » Thu May 21, 2020 10:28 am

kingy75 wrote:
blinddrew wrote:How are you mixing your voice levels and DAW/computer levels? Have you got an interface with its own mixer panel (Focusrite MixControl or TotalMix etc)?

I'm using a Roland Quad Capture for my audio interface. I can use it's mixer panel to mix my voice level. I'd adjust any software instruments from within the DAW. I guess I could mix my voice level inside the DAW too.

I've tried setting the mic input in Zoom to my audio interface but it just sounds terrible.

On my Mac I use Loopback to route audio between applications with a virtual device. I basically need an app like Loopback for PC that lets me route processed audio from my DAW to Zoom. See this tutorial here for how I have my Mac set up: https://brianli.com/how-to-host-an-onli ... M1bcTZF-Tk

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I'm facing the same issue on a Mac. Did you write that tutorial? I need to do a Zoom live concert with a violin and a backing track. The problem is that playing violin with headphones is not that great, I'd like to hear the backing track from speakers. I have a Zoom H4N pro, and I normally use Audacity. So far what I did was to play the backing track through the speakers, and pick up everything with the H4N microphones, which is obviously not ideal. Can I route the backing track AND the H4N to Zoom, while listening to the backing track through speakers? I also have a Scarlett i2 (old model) that I never used. I may continue this in a separate thread if it creates confusion.
notuno
Poster

Postby kingy75 » Thu May 21, 2020 10:55 am

I didn't write that tutorial but I did use it to set up MainStage for Zoom meetings on my Mac. It works great for my voice and for playing piano but it's a fairly convoluted way of doing things.

That said, I don't see why you couldn't use that method to play your violin and a backing track through MainStage on your Mac. I'm guessing the same approach would work with Logic but I haven't tried it.
kingy75
Poster

Postby John Willett » Thu May 21, 2020 11:42 am

While we are talking about Zoom......

I am looking for a cheapo interface to get a headset into the laptop for zoom.

The mic. needs 48V phantom powering and (obvoiously) is mono only and I need headphones out.

Any ideas?

The cheaper the better, I'm not looking to use it for anything other than Zoom meetings.
John Willett
Jedi Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu May 21, 2020 11:52 am

I've sorted this sound issue. I'm just writing it up and I'll be back in a few minutes.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby kingy75 » Thu May 21, 2020 12:06 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:I've sorted this sound issue. I'm just writing it up and I'll be back in a few minutes.

CC

Thanks CC. I've managed to get something happening using the Voicemeeter software (https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/in ... u7EALw_wcB) but I'm interested to hear your results too.
kingy75
Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu May 21, 2020 12:23 pm

OK, so the requirement is to share sound from apps over Zoom while simultaneously using the mic and webcam in the normal manner. This is quite achievable but it isn’t part of Zoom’s settings – you have to set it up each time you want to use it. So here we go:

1) Start your meeting. You might want to start it early before anyone else joins so they aren’t hanging around while you’re doing this. At the bottom of the screen (at least on a Mac, might be different on other platforms) you’ll see a green button labelled “Share screen”. Click on it. You’ll see the following screen:

2) Most of this screen is irrelevant, you’re only interested in the “Advanced” tab (between Basic and Files) at the top of the screen. Click on that. You’ll see this screen:

3) Click on “Music or Computer Sound Only” to make it blue. Click on “Share”. If this is NOT the first ever time you’ve done this then you’re done. You’ll go back to the main screen which will look like this at the top:

You can see the big green strip pointing out you’re sharing sound and a button to stop sharing.

4) If this IS the first time you’ve tried this then Zoom has to install an audio driver and you’ll get this screen:

Just follow the instructions remembering to restart Logic or whatever program is generating the sound afterwards. As a result of this you’ll find an additional audio device showing up in Audio MIDI Setup called ZoomAudioDevice. Just ignore it.

Of course you have to balance up the sound of your voice in the mic against the sound of Logic or whatever, which is tricky when you can’t hear your voice. There’s two ways of doing this. The best is to have an assistant on a separate computer participating in the meeting who can tell you what he/she is hearing. The second if you’re just trying it out in a solo meeting is to use the Zoom record function to record a snippet of sound that you can review afterwards. My experience is that you’ll probably need to keep the level of the mic up and the application down.

Good luck!

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 21, 2020 1:54 pm

CC doesn't that mute the microphone?
I can't test this at the moment but shouldn't it just be a case of clicking on the 'share computer sound' at the bottom left?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Thu May 21, 2020 2:13 pm

No it doesn't. The mic remains live. I've tested this. Here's the evidence.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu May 21, 2020 2:49 pm

:thumbup:
Thanks CC
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Next