You are here

Questions for musicians: Reasonable royalty rate for sampler inclusion?

Advice on everything from getting your music heard to setting up a label and royalties.

Questions for musicians: Reasonable royalty rate for sampler inclusion?

Postby instrumentally » Thu May 21, 2020 8:06 pm

I would like to receive feedback from established musicians who have recorded an album.

I would like to compile a sampler of 16-20 tracks, each track from a different musician/band. The artists that will be included on the sampler will be independents who have self-published and have no recording contract and who own all the rights to their original music.

The sampler will be marketed to a niche audience. A small number of physical CDs will be manufactured for baby boomers who aren't into "digital" downloads.

So the questions I have for all musicians who wish to respond:

1) What terms would you agree to to be included on such a sampler?

2) What would be a reasonable royalty payment for use of a single track? Digital download and CD?

3) How large (if any) of an upfront licensing fee would you charge for allowing your track to be included in this collection/sampler?

Thank you for any feedback.
instrumentally

Re: Questions for musicians: Reasonable royalty rate for sampler inclusion?

Postby James Perrett » Thu May 21, 2020 10:33 pm

While I'm not involved in negotiations with artists for the labels I work for, one common model seems to be to just split the proceeds once manufacturing costs have been taken into account. Up front payments are a rarity unless the label is paying for the recording.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Re: Questions for musicians: Reasonable royalty rate for sampler inclusion?

Postby instrumentally » Thu May 21, 2020 11:01 pm

Thanks for your input.

The only wrinkle with your suggestion is the fact that this project would be a compilation, and digital sales would most likely make up more than 95% of sales, and there is nothing to stop customer from favoring some tracks over others with their digital purchases/downloads. If $500 in sales results for the month of May for digital downloads, and there are 20 different artists on the sampler, but 4 of the 20 are responsible for 90% of the purchases, then how to divvy up the royalties?

Assuming I work for free, do we divvy up the $500 in 20 equal payments? That would be the simplest, but it wouldn't be the fairest.
instrumentally