You are here

Strawberry Switchblade - Since Yesterday - What is happening?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Re: Strawberry Switchblade - Since Yesterday - What is happening?

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:29 pm

Sounds to me a bit like a gated version of the organ like sound at around 2:05 perhaps?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby innerchord » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:40 pm

desmond wrote:There's definitely a delay/phasing effect going on
If it's the chorus effect you mean, then yes, something like a Dimension D. Many delay/chorus devices would do something similar.

desmond wrote:It's not the only record with vocals that weren't super in tune. This is the early 80s - it was the norm! (Plus I kind of think it's not really fair to judge old stuff by today's standards... *Compare* maybe, but not judge...)
I don't think off-pitch vocals were ever a norm. You just have to get the best out of your performer. Now you have auto-tune to make them more acceptable.
innerchord
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:59 am

innerchord wrote:I don't think off-pitch vocals were ever a norm. You just have to get the best out of your performer. Now you have auto-tune to make them more acceptable.

Remember that this wasn't long after punk happened and records that were too perfect weren't fashionable (at least in the UK). There were plenty of hit records where the vocals didn't quite hit the 'correct' pitch but I'd much rather listen to them than today's over corrected sound.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:34 am

One of my favourite tracks ever, I can remember hearing it sitting in a pub in Dean Street London called Sound And Vision, it was around the time that record came out, I was blown away by it and walked over the road to the Virgin Megastore and bought it, Trees And Flowers blew me away too.
That section you talk about always fascinated me, and I used to freak out listening to the effect on headphones. It just sounds like a panned gate effect to me, maybe an exciter too? Who knows?
I loved the way they looked too, and they inspired me to experiment quite radically with fashion back then.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Chimera » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:14 am

desmond wrote:
The Elf wrote:I'll place a good bet that's Dimension D on the synth pad.

Possibly, yep. My brain is telling me I've seen somewhere an article about those recording sessions, but I looked and I can't turn it up... But then my brain is also telling me to make a cup of tea, and I've just had one, so... :headbang:

right I'm crowd funding regressive hypnosis for desmond.
Chimera
Regular

Postby Chimera » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:20 am

Arpangel wrote:That section you talk about always fascinated me, and I used to freak out listening to the effect on headphones. It just sounds like a panned gate effect to me, maybe an exciter too? Who knows?

There is a similar effect on a series of drum beats in Master and Servant. God the 80's were great!
Chimera
Regular

Postby Rockrooms » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:22 am

Arpangel wrote:One of my favourite tracks ever, I can remember hearing it sitting in a pub in Dean Street London called Sound And Vision, it was around the time that record came out, I was blown away by it and walked over the road to the Virgin Megastore and bought it, Trees And Flowers blew me away too.

I loved the way they looked too, and they inspired me to experiment quite radically with fashion back then.

Trees and flowers also a favorite of mine, seem to recall it was about Jill's agoraphobia.
Still have a vinyl copy of the album, a perfect document of 80s pop. Beautiful photograph on the dust cover too. They would turn heads in the street. "Tippy tappy" drums and synths, what's not to like.

I'd much rather have the vocals as the way they were rather than the cookie cutter tuned stuff of today. Then there's YouTube face. Yuck. Getting old...
Rockrooms
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:27 am

desmond wrote:Sure. It's not the only record with vocals that weren't super in tune. This is the early 80s - it was the norm! (Plus I kind of think it's not really fair to judge old stuff by today's standards... *Compare* maybe, but not judge...)

Banarama did the unison but slightly off pitch thing very well too, back in the '70s Errol Brown sang everything slightly sharp 'cos it added a sense of urgency/edginess to the vocal. Before that Bob Dylan, Neil Young and others took 'out of tune' to the Nth degree, probably more as a statement than a lack of ability (Neil Young's work with CSN&Y demonstrates that he was perfectly capable of singing in tune).

I'm with James, I'd much rather listen to real voices* than the autotuned nonsense that passes for singing in much current pop music.

* Though it is possible to go too far the other way.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:47 am

In this quantised and autotuned age, I think some people lose sight of the fact that it's those imperfections that give things their character.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:06 am

Oh no! while I was sitting in that bar listening to the Switchblades, it was classic tracks one after the other that day Kissing The Pink "The Last Film" This Mortal Coil "Song For The Siren" Captain Sensible "Glad It’s All Over" I just used to pop over in between pints to get the records from the Megastore, that kind of inspiration and enthusiasm died years ago.
As far as I go now is writing names on my calendar after hearing bands on BBC6 Music.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous