You are here

Waves Central - Admin User?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Waves Central - Admin User?

Postby Temp » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:46 am

Hi Folks,

I've finally got round to installing Waves Central so I can use the Abbey Road plugins I purchased last year. Once installed, I can open Central and see the two products I've bought, but clicking on 'Install and Activate' appears to do nothing. I was about to attempt the old 'Run as Administrator' workaround, but then realised I'm running Cubase, Reaper etc. as a regular user and didn't want to inadvertently create any annoying permissions/licensing/file location issues. After a quick Google, it appears to be a fairly common problem, and the Waves FAQ offers up some very questionable advice (including totally disabling UAC and all anti-virus software).

Before I proceed with running Waves Central as an administrator and attempting to install/activate, does anyone have any prior experience with this? I've had this before with an East/West Orchestra plugin that still drives me mad to this day by deciding to unauthorise itself if I happen to run a VSTi-capable host under a different user.

Many thanks.
Temp
Regular

Re: Waves Central - Admin User?

Postby resistorman » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:18 am

Waves has always had the most draconian and idiotic copy protection. Back when I still used their products, I’d find cracks of the plugins I bought so I could actually use them.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby innerchord » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:06 am

'Install and Activate' is a heading, not a clickable button.

Make sure you're running the latest version of Waves Central (currently 11.0.60).
Select the plug-ins you wish to install by clicking on them from the list that appears; they should now have ticks in pale blue circles to the left of them.
The large blue Install button on the right should now be available.

Button location corrected -- HR

One thing to note; they are large installs. If you haven't got several gigabytes of free space you may not be able to proceed.

I find waves to have the very easiest license key system I've encountered, with excellent manipulation of licenses. What I don't like is... the one-license limit (yes, I know about the recent update to two, but it's still limited), the huge downloads and the confusing version system implementation.
Great plug-ins, though!
innerchord
Regular

Postby Temp » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:05 am

Thanks for the replies folks.

innerchord wrote:'Install and Activate' is a heading, not a clickable button.

No, it's most definitely a button:

I contacted support and apparently there's an issue with Waves Central v11 and Win 7 at the moment, so they've sent me a replacement version in the meantime. I'm just about to re-attempt the installation, so fingers crossed.

Cheers.
Temp
Regular

Postby innerchord » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:13 pm

Yes indeed. I've just checked on a Windows 7 machine, and there is indeed a problem with Waves Central on that OS.

Oh, and my blue button says just 'install' because the product was already activated on my system. Yep, things are not always as clear as they should be! Thanks for giving Waves a kick... :lol:
innerchord
Regular

Postby Scifo76 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:04 am

Did you get a solution for this?
I upgraded to Waves Central 11 yesterday (I'm on Windows 7), and when I try to click "Install" (from an offline v9 installer), nothing happens. I've chosen the V9 plugins I want to install, but clicking the Install button does nothing. Not even an error message.
Scifo76

Postby Temp » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:29 am

Did you get a solution for this?

Sorry, I've only just spotted this. Yes, I had to contact Waves support directly for a 'special' version of Central that works with Win 7.

We are familiar with the issue you've mentioned and are working to get it fixed as soon as possible. In the meantime, we have uploaded a special build of Waves Central which should solve this issue.

To repeat, I had to contact them directly, after which they sent me a one-time link to a download. I too tried the offline installer with the same results you're having (i.e. nothing happening at all). I'm not sure whether it helped my situation or not, but there's a footnote on the Waves system requirements page that states:

Waves Central: to run on Windows 7 with SP1 64bit, KB 2999226 must be installed.

...which you can find here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=49093

It's a shame Waves aren't more forthcoming with such issues; given the problems that music makers seem to be experiencing with W10, I imagine there's a fair few of us that are sticking with W7.

Good luck!
Temp
Regular

Postby Scifo76 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:46 am

Hey Temp,

Thanks for the reply.

Yesterday, Waves Tech Support got back to me with a download link (win 7 patch fix) and it solved my problem.

Before hearing from them, I tried to solve this issue myself by downloading that KB 2999226 file, but I already had that file installed, so that wasn't a solution.

So, to other Win 7 users who might see this: Contact Waves Tech Support - they'll send you a download link with a fix. It worked instantly for me.

Since Waves are familiar with this issue AND have an instant fix for it, I don't understand why they don't integrate that fix in a new, updated version of Waves Central. But that's another topic.

All the best,

Robert
Scifo76